Recycling carbide-tipped tablesaw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have a number of blades that are past their best cutting capabilities, but not completely shot. Wondering what to do with them other than sculpting something creative for the garden! :? I did look at resharpening, but when I can pick up new ones in the US for $25 a pop (I go over at least twice a year) it's not worth paying twice that in pounds to sharpen them up.

Does anyone have any creative uses for old blades?

Brian

I have made scraper blades for my #80, cabinet scrapers, and marking knife blades out of old saw blades.

A Frisby may be a little adventurous :shock:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Never spent moor than £10 getting my blades sharpened, thats a lot of blades for the cost of the airfare :D

Jason

Derek,
I was going to post the same question in the Hand Tools forum but I'll just continue this thread. I have a few questions since I've been planning to recycle some blades myself:
-Are the blades tempered? I ask because I'm just wondering if a hacksaw will do a good job cutting them.
-Did you temper the blades after you cut them up, or are they hard enough to use as is? Do you know what kind of steel most saw blades are made out of?
Thanks,
Frank D.
PS I'm talking about TS blades here.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) :p :p :p :p :p :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

There we are Chris just for you. I must be losing my touch, either that or working to hard.

Seriously though i get so bloody tired lately. I was sitting there at the computer last week, replying to a clients email when about 2 hours later i woke up with my chin on my chest. Then last night i was drinking a cup of coffee and the next thing i knew i had dropped off and the coffee was on the floor.

Ah poor me.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

It can't be good for you or your business to get that tired, In your shoes, I would invest some time trying to re-jig my work in some way to give me a bit more rest.

Meanwhile you certainly have my sympathy.

Woodythepecker":3ko6zt8p said:
I sharpen my own table saw blades, and i thought that everyone else does.

Woody, I used to sharpen table saw blades before carbide tipped blades became freely and cheaply available. 8)
Do you sharpen carbide tipped blades and if you then do tell us how. :D

Oh Dave don't tell me i have fallen flat on my gloating face again. Some of the machines they use to sharpen these blades can cost upwards of £2,000, and i certainly have not got one of those.

I think that i will be better off waiting until i get something to really gloat about.

I have got a DMT diamond hone in with which i hone the blades, does that count? :roll: :roll:

Regards

Woody

Bean, oh yeah nice one mate (i don't think) now i am going to be known as a cheapskate gloater.

Regards

Woody the non gloater

Back