Recycled Oak Flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
A while back I was able to pick up some oak floorboards; these were taken out of house that was taken down.

The floor had been installed in the 80’s, and was in a pretty bad state. This was not helped by how the demolition crew had taken out the floor and how it had been stored.

They had laid it outside in the mud/grass under some tarpaulin (with big holes in it)

When I picked it up (free) I had to drag it out of the mud. I felt like a swamp logger.

First I thought of just cleaning it and putting it in our Gym (the room it had originally been installed in was about 4mrt by 5mtr) but on a lot of boards the tongue and groove were missing and due to it had been stored a large number of boards had been warped – so that idea went our of the window

Here a picture of when I picked it up

photo by mcluma, on Flickr

Oak flooring by mcluma, on Flickr

So my idea is to use it for skirting board and door trim. I can trim the edges (take of the tongue and groove) plane and sand it

So that is what I did yesterday, took a small number of boards from the pile, de-nailed it and sawed the T&G off. Still leaves me with a respectable 175mm wide board

The pile of wood

De-nailing

The quality of the wood before processing

After processing

And the wastage

What I still need is a drum sander, so get the super smooth finish

Good on you!
Some good wood saved from needless destruction.

It's a shame that so much is wasted. Some years ago I rescued about ten 3m lengths of lovely American oak skirting from an office that was being refitted. It's now a bookcase.

Keep up the good work.

tomatwark":20rzn5nm said:
Chris

Are you sure that is Oak?

The pics make it look more like Ash.

Still a good find.

Tom

I was told it was oak, looks like oak, but you could be right, as i had my doubt about it, as it didn't smell like oak when i was cutting it

it never ceases to amaze me the things that people throw away!!!

Well done for the rescue, well worth saving!!

Andy

Back