• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Recurring problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
Quite regularly we seem to get members join in order to ask a question but then don't return to read the replies.
Latest one I've spotted is this erbauer-table-saw-problem-t123510.html

Can we do anything to remind new users to return and read their replies.
I think the default setting is no notifications for a reply - if this could be set initially for notification then things might be better and newbies get the help they seek.

Any other suggestions?

MattChow

Established Member
Reaction score
As a newbie I would 100% appreciate topic subscription by default, but also as a newbie by opinion counts for nowt.

u38cg

Established Member
Reaction score
Myfordman":3g8l6ijn said:
Because they have not visited the site since posing their question.
What is the "stay logged in" default? If they post their question, sod off, session times out, they come back, read the reply, smile nod, and try to say "thank you", realise they're not logged in, oh sod, what was me password, oh never mind, bugrit millenium hand and shrimp and off we go, we'll never know.

I have a strong suspicion that the dominance of internet time by social media means actually people have forgotten, or never learnt, basic web skills like bookmarking a site or organising their logins, to the detriment of sites like this.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
Yes you may well have a point but if the default was to be notified of replies they would have a fighting chance to password recovery.
My experience of farcebook is not good as I really struggle to go back to replies as the indexing seems no existent.
I recently asked for tradesman suggestions, waited a few days for people to reply then had a devil of a job to get back to my own post to review the replies.

Reaction score
Myfordman":387no4a0 said:
Yes you may well have a point but if the default was to be notified of replies they would have a fighting chance to password recovery.
My experience of farcebook is not good as I really struggle to go back to replies as the indexing seems no existent.
I recently asked for tradesman suggestions, waited a few days for people to reply then had a devil of a job to get back to my own post to review the replies.

I'm having trouble with facebook too. Lately I get very few notifications of replies to my own post. I have to use the activity log to go back to the post and manually check for replies.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
I'd happily never use FB but there are a couple of special interest groups that don't have proper forum equivalents.