Record wood vice linings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavlar

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I have a Record 52 and a 52 1/2 vice, both vintage, recently acquired for the bench I am currently building. My query concerns the fitting of the jaw linings/cheeks.

Both have 5/16 Whitworth threaded holes, which implies that the linings are supposed to be fixed by machine screws or bolts inserted through the lining and into the vice jaw. This is how the previous owner has done it, see photo, However, that means holes in the linings to recess the screw heads, plus they are a pain to change (large screwdriver needed, not enough room to use it). There's a nice thread here where it's suggested to use magnets to attach the linings instead. Or is it better to ignore the threaded holes and use woodscrews from the outer faces of the jaw, as the newer models seem to do?

I'm tempted by the magnets, but they might allow the linings to move under pressure, and is that a good or bad thing?

Help please from any owners who have wrestled with the same dilemma!

thanks
Gavin

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_114519693.jpg
    IMG_20210227_114519693.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25
I installed new beech linings into mine 15 years ago but I've forgotten how I did it. I'll take a look tomorrow and get back to you.

Suggest ignoring the screw-thread and a stubby woodscrew from the 'newer' (metal) side (although I have a couple of woodworking vices from about 1860s - not Record - that have holes with no thread and screw chamfers obviously meant to be screwed in from the iron side into the wood - so not that new, just two schools of thought).

But then it's much easier for the rear jaw to fit the wood before attaching to bench

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a 52 1/2 and have never had problems removing the jaw. There is sufficient room to get a fairly large screwdriver, all be it at a slight angle, between the jaws. I also have a couple of old screwdriver bits with tapered square ends for fitting in a brace. These can be used with an adjustable wrench where space is a bit limited.

Alternatively, dismantle the vice to remove them. They don't need to be tightened too tight when you put the new ones.

Nigel.

Just counterbore the holes in the jaws and use set screws with a socket to drive them. it's not difficult. I bought the screws at a local steel yard.

Incidentally, I've used hardwood linings for as long as I've had a bench ......... up til last time when I used spruce. Softer is better as there's less likelihood of bruising anything.

I have a 52E and it has hardwood jaws fixed with wood screws. I have expendable drop in soft wood jaws that drop in and are held by the hardwood ones. As I use the vice for all sorts of things, they get replaced from time to time - looks like replacement soon ! They are cocked up so you can see ewhat they are.

Attachments

• IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 72
Thanks all for your replies. I like the drop-in jaws idea! Also yes, hex head or allen key screws would work better than slotted, I'll do that.
cheers all

AlphaDave - add the vintage railway world into that list too. And that is not just steam but early diesels too.
Rob

Hi, I’ve done this - mine is a Record 55 but I’m sure the principle would be the same.
I used T & G floorboard for the cheeks - it took me about an hour a piece to mark up and chisel our the rebates and fit the cheeks. The back cheek is screwed to the workbench - that way it’s easy to remove (and I was too lazy to remove the vice to fit it from the hidden holes at the back). The front cheek is fitted with a couple of short screws that are using the holes in the vice (I did buy some threaded flat screws but they were metric and didn’t fit)
The benefit of the flush back cheek is that I can use the bench to help hold things (either horizontally or if at an odd angle).

Attachments

• 233819B1-ED16-49BE-8FC8-530D810CCA75.jpeg
    233819B1-ED16-49BE-8FC8-530D810CCA75.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 8E1910B2-775D-43CB-B163-41C64CCAB376.jpeg
    8E1910B2-775D-43CB-B163-41C64CCAB376.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 28
  • C12C2C33-E7E2-40A9-B52B-00098BD9332A.jpeg
    C12C2C33-E7E2-40A9-B52B-00098BD9332A.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2E5F9884-9897-4314-A939-A38368400B4F.jpeg
    2E5F9884-9897-4314-A939-A38368400B4F.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 30
I have a No.52 (and a used No.53 awaiting fitting in it's place). I use CSK machine screws - installed using a stubby screwdriver.

As Jules mentions above, woodscrews from the outside may be easier from the front jaw, but require removing the vise to fit the rear liner - which is a big PITA.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann, that’s why I screwed my rear jaw cheeks to the work bench - quick and easy to fit and just as easy to remove.
And if I say so myself, being flush with the side of the workbench they are also aesthetically pleasing to the eye (well, mine at least!). I’m sure I got some OCD in me!

Vann, that’s why I screwed my rear jaw cheeks to the work bench - quick and easy to fit and just as easy to remove.
And if I say so myself, being flush with the side of the workbench they are also aesthetically pleasing to the eye (well, mine at least!). I’m sure I got some OCD in me!
Fitted my Parkinson a while back and installed a Record 52 1/2 last week using a similar technique. used oak on the Parky and beech on the record as that’s what I had laying around.
Made the jaw lining a bit thicker as I wanted a dog hole in each.
7685C623-24D4-4971-8221-34BFF0C8FE57.jpeg
F5D33DF3-92BF-41CD-B767-5127097CB555.jpeg

Latest posts

Back