Record vice slipping.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Record 1984

Reaction score
I recently bought a Record 84 metalwork vice, took it apart, cleaned it up and put it back together. The little lever that you push, which allows the outer jaw to slide back and forth, slips and spins. With the vice upside down I can see the piece (of metal of similar size and shape to a ruler) is slipping out of the groove/notch, which is cut out of the thing that moves up and down as I push the lever.
The second picture seems to have the thing working properly, turn it the right way up and the spring moves the 'ruler' out of the slot and the whole thing slides uncontrollably and is useless. In the 3rd picture I've placed a steel ruler across the base, the cage that holds the mechanism in place stands approximately 2mm proud of the base of the vice, is that normal? Is that the wrong cage? When the vice is sat properly on a flat surface, it's not level, that cage sticks out underneath and the whole vice rocks on that cage piece sticking out. Could I/should i, cut 2mm out of the cage and weld it back together? Or have I put it together wrong?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_1602178_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210121_1602178_rewind.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210121_1600225_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210121_1600225_rewind.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210121_1601222_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210121_1601222_rewind.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Was it working before you took it apart? If so you have probably put it back together incorrectly. Try again. Dropped a spring?
I say this because the same happened to me with a woodwork vice but I'm still not sure what I did wrong first time round.

Looking at the pictures you have posted 2 things stand out
In the first picture the quick release lever is 180 degrees our. It needs to be rotated so it is in the same position as the vice shown in Hattori Hanzo's photo. The spring should be pushing threaded piece into engagement
When the vice is the right way up you should be squeezing the lever and towards teh main screw ( lever rotating anticlockwise) to disengage the screw
The blade that actually lifts the threaded portion out of engagement seems to be very tapered which may be due to wear. This may make it thin enough to fall out of the slot

Look at photo 3 where you have placed a rule across the base of the vice. You will notice that the guide for the half nut is protruding below the base of the vice. Now have a look at the no 23 vice in the video that Hattori-Hanzo posted. You will notice that it's the other way around, recessing into the vice body. This is probably your problem. Do not alter anything on the vice. The no 23 has the same QR mechanism as your no 84.

Nigel.

The housing is installed correctly but, as noted in an earlier post, the flat bar/quick release trigger has been installed incorrectly. Try turning it around 180 degrees and feeding the bar above the tang in the housing, rather than below it as shown in your photos.

I find it easier to understand how it works by experimenting with the position of the bar/trigger than reading a written explanation, but the idea is that the spring on the trigger twists the bar so it pushes the half nut on to the screw. Squeezing the trigger rotates the bar in the other direction so the half nut is pulled away from the screw and the vice is free to move.

Hard to see in your photos but I think there should be a cast iron part on the trigger that is braced against the body of the vice so that the bar is under tension from the spring when installed correctly.

Don't think I've never know one of these have anything protrude past the bottom line of the casting.
Turning that guide over would be my first option.
Cheers Andy

Don't think I've never know one of these have anything protrude past the bottom line of the casting.
Turning that guide over would be my first option.
Cheers Andy

that is a good point Andy, will be interested to hear if it works with it installed the other way up (I think it might foul on the half nut?)

there were several different designs for the housing for the QR mechanism and I have only ever seen this type installed like in the photos and the etching below. Perhaps it is a replacement?

img_5f8092f35dada.jpg

apologies, I was mistaken - I have just found a picture of an (apparently working) fitters vice with the same housing installed the other way round. sorry!
1611312693464.png
1611312693464.png

Had a look at my no 83 today and the guide is as Record 1984s, but it's about 1/4" from the bench.
Another point that I've noticed is the base of the vice. Record 1984s looks as if the rim of the base has been filed flat. If you look at the photo posted by Hatorri-Hanzo, the no 84 has a deeper rim where the bolts go through the vice body putting the rest of the body off the bench. This is the same as my no 83. The no 23 looks as if the base has been filed flat. This could account for the guide being turned the other way.

Nigel.

Last edited:
Can't offer any help but these videos may be of some use.
Looks like you may have that cage in upside down.

I think you're right about the cage being upside down. I watched that inspiring and very helpful video you sent. I definitely have the cage upside down. Looking forward to fixing it in the morning. Thankyou so much for your help. You've made my day. I'll let you know if it works. Feeling confident.
Again, big thankyou.
Paul.

Look at photo 3 where you have placed a rule across the base of the vice. You will notice that the guide for the half nut is protruding below the base of the vice. Now have a look at the no 23 vice in the video that Hattori-Hanzo posted. You will notice that it's the other way around, recessing into the vice body. This is probably your problem. Do not alter anything on the vice. The no 23 has the same QR mechanism as your no 84.

Nigel.
Spot on. The cage goes into the body of the vice, mine is protruding. I'll turn it the other way up, that seems to be the answer, I feel a bit of a nugget putting it in upside down, but after getting all this help, I'm a happy nugget.
Many thanks,Paul.

My Record no 83, and my nos. 52, & 52 1/2 all have the guides protruding outwards. This is the first time that I've ever seen them going the other way. First time for everything I suppose.

There is a possibility that the half nut and guide may have been changed at some point, either by the manufacturer, as a design change, or by someone using parts from a different model. May be the larger vices have a deeper recess for the half nut and guide. They possibly have a larger diameter screw. I don't know.

Nigel.

I recently bought a Record 84 metalwork vice, took it apart, cleaned it up and put it back together. The little lever that you push, which allows the outer jaw to slide back and forth, slips and spins. With the vice upside down I can see the piece (of metal of similar size and shape to a ruler) is slipping out of the groove/notch, which is cut out of the thing that moves up and down as I push the lever.
The second picture seems to have the thing working properly, turn it the right way up and the spring moves the 'ruler' out of the slot and the whole thing slides uncontrollably and is useless. In the 3rd picture I've placed a steel ruler across the base, the cage that holds the mechanism in place stands approximately 2mm proud of the base of the vice, is that normal? Is that the wrong cage? When the vice is sat properly on a flat surface, it's not level, that cage sticks out underneath and the whole vice rocks on that cage piece sticking out. Could I/should i, cut 2mm out of the cage and weld it back together? Or have I put it together wrong?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,Paul.
Thanks to everyone for all your help. I turned the cage the right way up as it was in the video and pictures you all sent me. It took less than 5 minutes. I got some big coach bolts washers and nylon nuts, bolted it down good and tight. It works brilliant and I can't see me ever having a problem with it again.
After watching the refurbished vice video, that's gonna stick in my head until I do it. There's alot to do before that though, and having a fine vice will certainly help. Thanks again for all your help, I was getting desperate, cutting it up and welding bits!
Yours sincerely. Paul.

Latest posts

Back