Record TSPP250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My new record tspp250 table saw fitted up a week ago has started playing up already.

The cast iron table top has moved off of its anchorage points, anyone with this model able to offer any advice.

I'm wondering if its the 7ft glide pole on the sliding carriage shifting the table around like a long lever!

Did you fix the top onto the main saw chassis?

My top is attached by four screws through the lip of the pressed steel saw chassis into the underside to the cast iron table. In addition there are two pins through the cast iron table into the saw chassis. I don't see how the top could move with these fixings in place and tight.

johnb.

Bolts were naturally put in and have now be retightened 3 times.
The two pins you mentioned were not supplied by Record and their support stated not to fit same. Drill holes and lever table into position was the instruction I was given.
Fitting pins sounds more reasonable to me but perhaps they have had distortion problems to the tin box under the table?

Record support reception said I would be telephoned back, that was 5 hours ago.

When I purchased mine last year it came with 2 roll pins and it had 2 holes in the mitre slot (one at each end of the table) and when you had aligned the table to the saw blade and also the pull saw mechanism you then drilled a 6mm hole through these pre drilled holes into the saw base and then knocked the roll pins into place and this locked everything firmly into place.
And it also served as a datum for future use if you needed to disassemble.

IMHO there isn't enough surface area between the base and the cast table for the small bolts to lock themselves firmly together to prevent this happening without the roll pins in place.

Record,

Pleased to report Record support telephoned back this morning without a further prompt.

There instruction is still not to use roll pins, drill the hole by all means through the mitre slot hole provided into the motor chassis but do not use roll pins( they make to much committment to any future change that might be required, that was the info I got) use the holes to lever table to correct position and then make sure allen key bolts are really tightened.
This proceedure I have again followed but it did require cutting down of allen key steel to enable keys to negotiate bolt position.

Keeping my fingers crossed :wink:

I would have thought drilling the holes was the commitment! If they are slightly out what do you do?
I can't see how the use of the pins makes anything unalterable. I've had my saw apart and the table off (to fit a replacement part) and didn't have any problem knocking out the pins and putting then back again.

Perhaps its the Record engineers if they have to call on a service dont like the pins in :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Twice support have sated to me not to put in pins.

HI,

Any fixture or unit that requires a level of repeatability when fixing/removing it would certainly be all the more accurate if it had to locate into fixed pins. The level of accuracy simply cannot be achieved by threaded fixings alone and for this reason, I would get the position of the table precise and then fit it with the pins. This will enable relocation time and time again and also keep it there.

cheers,
jonny.

your advice certainly makes sense, but perhaps the machinery under the table if replaced or serviced does not have a datum point. It would be very difficult to have both areas matching to the fixed pins.

Yesterday I cut a couple of Allen keys to size to enable good tightening leverage on those 4 stud bolts holding the table down so things better stay in place now or my telephone bill will be rising again this quarter :wink:

Hi,

I understand what you mean. I am not familiar with the table saw in question and it sounds as though the method of construction follows the style of "cabinet" table saw's and the motor and trunnion assembly are directly fixed to the base and not the table. Hope it stay's true when re-tightened.

cheers,
jonny.

Back