Record TSPP250 keeps blowing fuse, now blade wont turn. HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaz

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone give me some advice? We have a Record table saw (TSPP250). It keeps blowing the fuse in the plug. This has been happening quite frequently, and now this morning the saw switches on but the blade will not turn. If we leave it the fuse blows. It will turn without the blade on! HELP!!! :( Thanks.

If you remove the blade do the wheels turn freely by hand? Without the blade installed does the motor work and spin the bottom wheel (you'll need to close door)?

Sorry, dont know exactly what you mean. Are you talking about a bandsaw? If not, pardon my ignorance, I am no expert!!

I think he means you will have to close the door as the safety relay switch may not let the motor operate with the door open??

Is the blade sticking on the guard or is debris preventing the blade from turning which may be causing an overload then tripping the fuse.

Have you tried asnother plug socket, in case there is a fault in the socket.

I had a simialr problem with a disc sander which had the factory fitted non replaceable plug. I cut it off and replaced it with new plug, it solved the problem, I think there must have been either a loose connection or broken wiring in the flex.

As you will no doubt have guessed I am not an electrician but I would check all the simple solutions first (as described above) and whittle the possible causes down by a process of elimination.

I would then look at the switch on the saw, checking for dust ingress etc causing intermitent contact. Try the simple options first though.

Good luck.

David

I would suspect a failed/failing start capacitor. Assuming it uses a capacitor start, capacitor run motor, then with the blade off there might be just enough starting torque from the run capacitor alone.
It is a cheap item to buy and try (unless you get it from record that is) Ebay vendors are your best bet. Make sure the capacitance value is similar - within 10% say and voltage working the same or greater for the new part.

Bob

David, again thanks for taking the time to reply, I just wrote a message and it has disappeared!! Runs without blade so dont think its plug, cant see anything catching

chaz":1zd3y8r9 said:
Thanks Bob, will have a look on ebay. I am no electrician, is it easy to fit with little knowledge?!!

First locate the capacitors, One usually inside a bulge on the motor casing and the other either in a second bulge or inside the connection box on the side of the motor.

The start capacitor will be the largest electrical value usually the one under the single bulge - look for uF after the number or mFD instead

Read up on my motor paper and you will see a photo of a single bulge type.

search on ebay for motor start capacitor or sometime found in with the run ones.

If you are stuck, post a sharp focus picture of the markings on the capacitor and I'll point you towards a replacement

If you disconnect anything at this stage make sure you record where the wires went. Take photos - make notes.

Bob

Thank you, will do that, just going to have a read now. Thanks very much, appreciate you taking the time to help. Will keep you posted!

I had same problem with my scheppache planer ,just enough to start motor with the belt off. On closer inspection
the start capacitor on the motor had melted. Im not electrically minded so it was easier for me to put a new motor on.
Beefed it up to 3 HP so now it goes through anything no problem.

Thanks to everyone for your info. Managed to get panel off and locate start capacitor, took it off making sure I knew where the wires had come from! Got one from the local electrical wholesalers (took the old one to match it up just to be sure). Put new one on, kept fingers crossed and it works!!! Hooray! Back in business. So relieved, only ended up costing 19 pounds so more than happy with that. Big thanks to Bob for all the info you sent me, I am so pleased I came on here to find out what to do, and really appreciate you taking the time to help. Thanks. Happy woodworking everyone :)

Latest posts

Back