Record Stay Set planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Wheeee !
:D
I've just been down that slope again and acquired two Record Stay Set planes - a 5 1/2 and a 4 1/2.

I'm now in the process of fettling them with the skills developed on the DC tool tuning course I attended in June.

Anyway to the point - does anyone know anything about Record Stay Set planes ? I couldn't find anything useful by searching in Google.

I expected the frogs/blades/chipbreakers and lever caps to be interchangeable between the 4 1/2 and 5 1/2. But they are not. All the bits from the the 5 1/2 are 2 1/4 and the 4 1/2 is 2 3/8. Would you expect that ? Are these different generations ?

Phil

PS - (Can anyone help me explain to SWMBO why I now have 8 bench planes - even I struggled. :oops: Though she says she recognises I'm not a c*ll*ct*r)

Hi Phil,

Sorry I can't help with your serious question.

But I, too, have difficulty explaining to LOML how I manage to cope with so few planes! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Good Surname or what ?":1vdfpgfg said:
Anyway to the point - does anyone know anything about Record Stay Set planes ? I couldn't find anything useful by searching in Google.

I expected the frogs/blades/chipbreakers and lever caps to be interchangeable between the 4 1/2 and 5 1/2. But they are not. All the bits from the the 5 1/2 are 2 1/4 and the 4 1/2 is 2 3/8. Would you expect that ? Are these different generations ?
Ah, nothing to do with their Stay-Set-ness and everything to do with standardisation. Just like Stanley did, Record changed from 2 1/4" cutter width to 2 3/8" on the #5.5. Except I have dates of betwen '37 and '38 for the change at Record, whereas Blood & Gore gives the Stanley change as 1939 - did Record give Stanley the idea? Surely not. Anyway, sounds like you've got at least one highly desirable Stay Set from the highly desirable pre-war era. Congrats.

As for the planes; only 8? Slacker. You need at least one of each size and a spare so you can keep making the latest thing from SWMBO's tuit list instead of having to stop and sharpen the blade for a start. [-X Then there's the whole issue of having them set up for fine or coarse work, maybe cambered or straight blades, back bevels too. Jeeze, add a zero to that eight and you'd still be short. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I'm not up on the Record types but Stanley used the 2 1/4" blade in their 5 1/2 until 1931, IIRC, then switched to the 2 3/8" blade.

TIP: Never count your planes (saws, braces, etc)! It is much better to be able to give an honest "I don't know" answer :lol: .

Alf & Roger. Thanks. I'm pleased to know that the 5.5 is pre-war. Perhaps the 4.5 is too.

Andy & Trev. Mmmmmm... I've tried the shoe analogy. It hasn't worked so far, I can't see why that would change ! Maybe the answer is "What this old plane ? New ? No you've seen it loads of times - trouble is you just don't notice the planes I use !"

As Alf stated: "standardization". The #5 1/2 was the only plane with a 2 1/4" blade. The #4 1/2, #6 and #7 all had 2 3/8" blades. Changing the #5 1/2 to match the others allowed them to stop making a frog, blade, chipbreaker and levercap for a plane that wasn't one of their biggest sellers. Personally, I have always liked the 2 1/4" #5 1/2 since it fit squarely between the #5 & #7 in length/width.

Roger Nixon":3j2lyx67 said:
Personally, I have always liked the 2 1/4" #5 1/2 since it fit squarely between the #5 & #7 in length/width.
Same here; pity L-N and Clifton have gone with the 2 3/8" as well for their #5.5's really, but then the economy of production is even more applicable now I s'pose. :(

Cheers, Alf

Why, pilgrim, it cometh whilst I peruseth the pages of volume 16 listed on yonder page. Verily.

Always assume that any detailed and/or fascinating information I impart is the result of someone else's hard work and my ability to read. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":20uj4nvw said:
Always assume that any detailed and/or fascinating information I impart is the result of someone else's hard work and my ability to read.

Just stunned. Illusions shattered. All I thought I knew and believed in - crumbled to dust. All hope gone..

Why, pilgrim, it cometh whilst I peruseth the pages of volume 16 listed on yonder page. Verily.

I thought (the memory fails in extreme old age) that it was just a reprint of the catalogue, with a brief "biographical" history (like the Preston equivalent)

I didn't realise it had type-study information.

BugBear

For dating Record planes there is a newish book by Leslie Harrison. Its a beautiful glossy reprint of the Record 1938 catalogue number 15, with a 15 page introduction and history of Record. Published by Roy Arnold, 77 High Street, Needham Market, Suffolk IP6 8AN United Kingdom. Bench planes can be dated by the handle wood, the wheel on the lateral lever, the shoulder shape of the frog, the polished edges and the plating on the cap iron., plus a few other hints. It's all in this book and I found it fascinating, I think it's under 20 pounds.

Could well be. I think Sechondhand Tools lists it cheaper too, but Tool Bazaar's seemed easiest to direct BB to.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back