Record/Stanley Rebate Plane Lever Cap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh....maybe 5-7mm gap each side of the No10 cap? I doubt you would get enough pressure at the two ends if you put it into a 4 or (worse) a 5.

Sam

Basically I picked up a 010 from eBay but it is without a lever cap. So I'm looking for something that is going to fit.

No. 3 might be a good shout! Anyone know if they're the same size? I'm not fussed about it being an exact fit, as long as it works.

Ah! Thought you were going the other way...what about grinding down a 4 cap? Take a few mm off each side? If it helps, I'll take some photos for you of the No10 alongside a No4 cap.

Sam

Thanks Sam. Yes I did consider just grinding a bit off each side. I'll have a better idea when it arrives but thought I'd do a bit of investigating in the meantime.

El Barto":lk6wcukh said:
...No. 3 might be a good shout! Anyone know if they're the same size? ...
Yup. IIRC the No.03, No.010 & No.010 1/2 all share the same lever cap. I think the 020 compass plane is also the same width, but the lever-cap is different lengthwise.

And if you're happy to have a Stanley lever-cap, add the No.5 1/4 and the No.10 1/4 to the list of possible doners.

Cheers, Vann.

Their is a couple if no3 lever caps on eBay.

Pete

It is very easy to make a lever cap if yoy have access to a drill press and have a minimum of metalworking skills. Just cut it out of a piece of flat mild steel bar and file it to shape. Drill two hiles and file them to form the keyhole shaped opening for the holding screw. Drill a third hole near the top and thread it and put in a thumbscrew insted of the tightening lever.

My observations on using this with a modified no. 4 lever cap are as follows: it doesn’t work. The cap is too long and thus causes a build up of chips. I’m going to try taking off about 5mm of the lever cap and see if that makes a difference...

Back