Record/Stanley Interchangeability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhalla

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether a frog from a Stanley No 8 will fit a Record No 8 SS? I am looking for a replacement Record frog (in another post - Frog for record No8 SS). The reason I ask is someone near me has a broken Stanley No 8 with what looks like an intact frog.

There's only one way to find out. ;)

However, even if it were a Stanley-made-and-fit replacement, you may need to do some work on the blade bed and seating surfaces to ensure a solid engagement for everything down there when in use.

Good luck.

Does anyone know whether a frog from a Stanley No 8 will fit a Record No 8 SS?...
That depends on the age of the Stanley.

Stanley went through four different styles of frog seating (I don't know if their No.8 went through all four). Record planes were exact copies (except branding - obviously) of Stanley USA's type #14 (1929-30) or type #15 (1931-32) and all parts are interchangeable. However, you should ensure that any replacement frog seats well on the base - some minor fettling may be required.

I believe the frogs are interchangeable from Stanley's type #9 (1902) to the end of production in 1961 (but more fettling may be required on some). Stanley never made their No.8 in the UK (as far as I can tell). Anybody got a UK made one I'd be pleased to be proved wrong (no photos = it didn't happen).

Cheers, Vann.

I have seen planes with undersized frogs in them, suggesting that people have used 4's in 4 1/2 i am not sure how they have done that but it seemed to work for them... i suggest at times we over worry. I have seen some very well worn welded up planes suggesting that we worry a bit too much about cosmetics sometimes

Back