Record SQ4 Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vono

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Here's a photo of another of my Vice's. It's a Record SQ4.

I bought this new around 17/18 years ago from a little hardware shop & the chap had 3 in & said they were part of a cancelled export order. They were cheap so a mate of mine bought one of the others !

Thing is it's a model I don't know very much about & haven't seen many pictures of, but I imagine it was made pretty late in Record production before Irwin took them over.

It has a most peculiar quick release function worked from the main handle (the sticker on it shows how it works).

I hope you like the pics & if anybody knows any more about the SQ4 model that would be good to hear.

Cheers

Attachments

• Vices and workbench 3 007.JPG
    Vices and workbench 3 007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Vices and workbench 3 008.JPG
    Vices and workbench 3 008.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • Vices and workbench 3 012.JPG
    Vices and workbench 3 012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • Vices and workbench 3 016.JPG
    Vices and workbench 3 016.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
I know the system, used to have a Woden carpentry vice with it.
Works on a cam engaging the half nut with one full spin and dis-engaging with a spin the other way.
Cheers Andy

I know the system, used to have a Woden carpentry vice with it.
Works on a cam engaging the half nut with one full spin and dis-engaging with a spin the other way.
Cheers Andy
That's great thanks for the info I'd assumed it was a new idea.
Also handy knowing how it works as i didn't know that either.
Cheers

The York vices use a half-nut too, it’s a nice neat mechanism. I can see why it wouldn’t be used so much on metal vices where they get wellied up more, but then again the usual QR mechanisms don’t look too robust but have been used for decades without problems

Aidan

Back