Record spares - is this a record?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a BS500 (bandsaw) and managed to smash the table insert recently (an explosive moment involving some African blackwood and a blade that was 'inappropriate' - couldn't be bothered to change it for one small cut).
Jumps advised me to make one (sound advice indeed) but as I was busy making other things I called Pecord Power to get a replacement. I was told it was only available from them. The quote: £12.04 plus vat; and p&P £5.95... plus vat. In an impetuous moment, I agreed and paid. This small disc weighing just grammes came in at £21.59. And who charges vat on p&p??.. I thought it was exempt? "We'll get it out in the next couple of days" he said.
I think RP need to take a close look at their spares pricing and shipping policies.
Relevant to this, I was speaking to Felder re the Hammer 26 planer (why I wonder) and the 2 side disposable blades are about £25 a set of 3 - he said 'we price them so they compete with the cost of re-sharpening 6 edges."
Of course I made an insert later (scrap UHDPE face turned with skew to diameter, then drill holes and cut blade slot - about 1/2 hr, but far quicker next time).
rp.jpg

Got me wondering, If I built a BS500 from spares (like Johnny Cash with his Cadillac, 'One piece at a time') how much would it cost? Ten grand?... fifteen maybe?

What might happen next? - the clue's in the pic :wink:

Attachments

• rp.jpg
    rp.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 194
sadly p and p is not exempt. If registered, it has to be added even if you use royal mail, even though they themselves do not charge it!

What might happen next? - the clue's in the pic

You end up making a wooden Pacman game? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is it me or is that insert a tad "wide"!

I make MDF zero clearance inserts for my bandsaws and given the number of blades that you use, you could make one for each blade.

I'd have had the original off in a heartbeat anyway...best thing that could happen to it is to shatter.

Jim

No wonder it broke, that is a really poor design.
Unfortunately, whilst making a round replacement is easy as far as the round bit goes, cutting the slot to be ZCI is rather more challenging than with a rectangular one.
I think I'd be inclined to holt-melt it to a piece of scrap and saw it that way. I certainly wouldn't want to buy another OEM replacement.
S

Steve Maskery":y92w3huu said:
No wonder it broke, that is a really poor design.
Unfortunately, whilst making a round replacement is easy as far as the round bit goes, cutting the slot to be ZCI is rather more challenging than with a rectangular one.
I think I'd be inclined to holt-melt it to a piece of scrap and saw it that way. I certainly wouldn't want to buy another OEM replacement.
S

When I do mine Steve....I mark a point and draw a circle with a compass. Draw a line from the point and cut a slot along that line while it's still oversized and just beyond and then cut it out. This one on my (now cherished) Burgess for instance....

DSC_0548.JPG

Ok...not a big monster but a darn useful tool now it has a Tuffsaw blade and ZCI.

I did the same with my DeWalt.

Jim

I'm certainly happy with my made one... cost peanuts and fits really well etc. - and being UHDPE it is unbreakable so won't shatter. I cut the circle first (on lathe), mounted the circle onto mdf (a sheet larger than the missing insert) and cut a zero clearance slot, then drilled the holes.
I know I should have done that in the first place, but still reckon the RP pricing and their approach to mailing is not very supportive. That disc would cost no more than £1.50 to post surely?

condeesteso":aucd8iej said:
I'm certainly happy with my made one... cost peanuts and fits really well etc. - and being UHDPE it is unbreakable so won't shatter. I cut the circle first (on lathe), mounted the circle onto mdf (a sheet larger than the missing insert) and cut a zero clearance slot, then drilled the holes.
I know I should have done that in the first place, but still reckon the RP pricing and their approach to mailing is not very supportive. That disc would cost no more than £1.50 to post surely?

What are the holes for?

Don't forget it's not just the postage it's the "packaging" which means Jiffy bag, person in warehouse's wages, order system costs, person who took your order, person with the van driving to the post office, their sandwiches for lunch, cost of the van, tax on the van and insurance and VAT :mrgreen:

I'd say...bargain! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Back