Record Skewed Rebate planes (712, 713, 714)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarno

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I make simple boxes with rebate joints, and use my Record 778 to make the rebates.
The 778 works really well, although recently it rolled off the bench and a section of the nose broke off, a common failure mode, I think.
Also, care is needed when grabbing the plane in for me natural place,left hand around front rod, as that's also where the plane iron sits, ouch.
Recently, I became aware of the Record skewed rebate planes (712,713 and 714). This might help with preventing breakout on cross grain.
Has anyone here used these planes, and what is your opinion on them? Good, bad, meh?

I've used a 713 many moons ago and I thought it was a bit clumsy to use, you'd have to clamp a piece of wood to your work and use that as a fence since there was no provision for one on the plane itself like a 778 and once you got to a point where you had a decent shoulder you then took away the fence and used the depth stop to get a consistent depth.

They were always the rarer and more expensive planes to find back then (Well over £100), I imagine now they're worth even more just for collectors sake.

Edit: Just looked on eBay, there's a 712, 713 and 714 collection for £400 starting bid, absolute bargain! :lol:

Found it, wow, that is a lot of money.
Either the modification of that 714 was a common thing to do, or, he picked it up on ebay not too long ago. At least I think I saw that one. Bid on a 713 shortly aftwards that went for 66GBP (which was higher than I was willing to pay for it).
Didn't know about these planes, not sure if the amount of skew is enough to prevent nastiness on the end of a rebate.

I quite liked the idea of the skew bladed planes, but seeing they were rare / expensive I bought a few boxes of assorted wooden ones for little money. Some pretty useless, but the good ones are a pleasure to use, and dare I say it, quicker !

I have a wooden skew rebate plane that has both fence a depth stop. Works very well. I bought it secondhand. If you cannot find one it wouldn't be very hard to make one.

the veritas scew rebate is cheaper than the old ones now...that would be the ultimate rebate plane, I use a no44 then the no78 to guarantee the rebate is square, I've found without doing that the rebate will drift out of square and it's very frustrating. I also use a poor mans rebate plane which is just a chisel in a block of wood basically, the wood on wood action does seem to work better than metal planes, there's virtually no friction.

Another option which works well on end-grain rebates is to saw across, chisel out the bulk of the waste, and clean up either by paring or with a fine-mouthed shoulder plane.

On long grain, mark out the rebate quite deeply with gauges, chisel the waste, and clean up with a shoulder plane.

Richard Maguire demonstrates an even more 'back to basics' approach here, using little more than marking tools and a chisel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCX6RZGmiRE

Wooden moving fillisters can be bought quite cheaply. I bought one at Bridport market for £4 without a fence, but everything else was there, and after sharpening, works well. I have made a couple of wooden skewed rebate planes and they're not too difficult. One has a depth stop and a nicker, the other is just a basic plane. They work well, as does the Paul Sellers poor mans rebate plane.

Nigel.

Cheshirechappie":o5r560eq said:
Another option which works well on end-grain rebates is to saw across

I actually have a Record 44c which i modified by mounting a saw blade to the main body, a la quangsheng 043 clone. Works well.

interestingly enough, I have bought 6 beech moving fillister planes from your side of the ocean. They're probably about $75 on average, the accuracy is determined not specifically by the fence (which makes people think that they're less accurate than they are), but more by the distance from the fence to the nicker.

the nicker keeps the cut line and the blade comes up just short of it and then everything works well.

I don't use a router much, and only use one of these planes regularly, but was pondering making a few at one point and harvesting bits from the old ones, or modifying some to cut a dovetail profile instead of a rebate (changed my mind and sold three of them off -they are too nice to just mutilate like that).

Were I in your shoes, I'd use that type, but understand if the idea of setting one up right (especially given that they can sometimes come with a nicker that dealer threw in them and that doesn't match, just to find a buyer) may not be on your list of things to do.

In use, there is no iron plane that comes close to them, though. They are smooth and efficient and far less work in use.

Interesting, will need to give them a try! I'll see if I have skewed rebate planes amongst the big lot of dutch wooden planes I bought a while ago, and really did not do much with until now :D

Latest posts

Back