Record Sash Clamps - what's all these numbers about

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cletus

Reaction score
Good morning folks. I have a few (pre-Irwin) Record sash clamps, and in trying to look up some info on them (usual bored, evening time Google searches), I realised that I don't understand the numbering on these things at all.

Looking at eBay there'll be 136/3 up to 136/11, with none of the numbers seeming to correspond to either total length, capacity between jaws, or anything else, really.

Can anybody here shed some light on this burning non-issue?

136 is the style. 136 is the Tee bar version, 135, the straight version.
/3-/11 don't know as yet, maybe the number of adjustment holes?

Bod

You just need a proper catalogue. This is from 1986 when they were still in Sheffield. It looks like the last part of the number was just counting along all the options in size order, with a few missed out in later years.

BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/details/RecordMarpl ... ceList1986

Andy T, fair play to you. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Much appreciated

There were four different style/ sizes of sash clamps. Two size bars in both ordinary and T bar styles. Somewhere I've a catalogue from the early seventies try to dig out.

SteveW1000":9fwid8yo said:
There were four different style/ sizes of sash clamps. Two size bars in both ordinary and T bar styles. Somewhere I've a catalogue from the early seventies try to dig out.

You're quite right - the range had shrunk considerably by 1986!

135 was the lighter weight plain section, 1 1'4" x 1/4" (32 x 6mm)
133 was similar but heavy duty 1 1/2" x 5/16" ( 38 x 8mm)

136 was lighter weight T-section 1 3/4" x 3/4" (45 x 19mm)
138 was similar but heavy duty 2 5/8" x 7/8" (67 x 23mm)

All included in this 1967 catalogue -

https://archive.org/details/RecordTools ... 7/page/n63

Were they all still there in your 70s list?

Interesting to look at 1986 prices compared with now. Considering how much everything else has gone up these havent moved that much but you do have to shop around

Back