Record pt300

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
I see Record power have a new planer thicknesser.
Record tell me it'sbeen in manufacture for some time but only started being sold a couple of months ago.
It looks a good machine at a good price.

Has anyone seen a write up or seen the machine working?

Mike

I think it was reviewed in The Woodworker two-or-three months ago. F&C may also have had a look at it this year, for what it's worth...

Looks like a very solid machine with excellent capacities. I had a brief look over one at Yandles at it does look good. The fence is only aluminium and I didn't notice a lock for the thicknessing bed; both of which are featured on the cheaper, 10"x7" Axminster AW106PT2, just for comparison.

Just noticed in another thread that maltrout512 has one of these machines. :wink:

Andy let me know how it performs.
For the money it looks a better deal than the scappach.
I have been talking to record about it and have to say that the service and backup seem to be good.
A few years ago there were problems with record PT but I think they have sorted things out and this looks like a good product to me.

Did you view it working prior to purchase?

Mike

no. no-one had in stock. I went for this one due to the 300mm wide cut and longer beds.

I bought from Dm tools as the small workshop package along with the 10" table saw and 350 bandsaw for £2000.

DT, if your in the area sometime, your more then welcome to view. You can't touch it, but you can view :wink:

Mike I bought one two months ago and I can't rate it enough. Little setup out of the box. Exellent in both modes. Good machine with a good price :D :D

Olly there is a lock with the out feed table in the up position and when brought down for planing there is a camed lever to lock the out feed table. Yes ali fence but with the cast mounting that it it fixed to holds and keeps it firm and at 90* or what ever the angle. I have just squared some 300mm * 27mm oak boards then put them through the thicknesser. Little effort good result.

Sorry, Malcolm, I was referring to the thicknessing bed. On my Axminster machine (any many larger, industrial beasts) you can win the bed up or down and then lock it off at that setting. I find this helps to reduce snipe on the ends of the boards.

Then again, I think the bed on the Record machine is going to be longer than 600mm so, it may not be as much of an issue anyway.

Not upset olly. The other diff with the 300 compared to others of that size, eg the 320 is that the 300 has a rising screw on each corner. where the 320 and other makes just have a large diam rising shaft and some times two at the end of the out feed of the thicknesser. Catch ya later.

Andy,
You have had the pt300 for 24 hours now and you have not reported how it's performing!!!!!!!!

Are you enjoying playing with it????

Mike

I quite like the look of this machine: Seems like Record are building in some Startrite features in the Record production line.
Bit sparse on details on all the literature I have seen though, for example, whats the planer bed length? Whats the "working" height and the thicknesser feed rate? What clearance is needed from a wall for the tilting outfeed bed?
I suppose I will have to email Record to find these things out, but they would have been easy to include in all the promo literature.
Still need reassurance about the quality of the Record range in general though, some very negative comments about Record offerings in saw tables, multifunction units, dust extractors and occasionally the lighter ally planer thicknessers in all the forums, although there are some very good reviews of Record machines in the Mags.
Record are renowned for building good pillar drills, good bandsaws, and really good QR vices. I can agree with all these products being good, I use them.
They do seem to have product in constant development though, I note the larger saws now have better spec than they used to, and reading up on the newish PT300 it does seem to be good value and have all bases covered.
An Alloy fence seems a 2nd best option, but I happen to know of a cast iron one thats a direct replacement, so thats not an issue. and the ally fence is supposed to be best in class anyway.
Steel infeed roller and rubber coated outfeed. Sounds good to me. ( I am used to a Scheppach PT)
Would be eager to hear opinions and views from both owners and none owners, I know there will be those who would never buy Record machinery and those who have good or bad experience of Record machinery.
All views welcome .

Streepips":1hd0iet8 said:
Bit sparse on details on all the literature I have seen though, for example, whats the planer bed length? Whats the "working" height and the thicknesser feed rate? What clearance is needed from a wall for the tilting outfeed bed?

I've just been on to Record's site and see what you mean about a lack of specs.! :shock: However, D&M Tools came up with the following:

Max depth of cut: 3mm
Max thicknessing depth: 200mm
Max planing depth: 310mm
Cutterblock speed: 5300rpm
Blade speed: 4000rpm
Motor power: 3hp
Size: W900 x D1250 x H1020mm
Weight: 175kg

I think that answers most of your questions. :wink:

The planner table is 1250 long and the thicknesser table is 520 in length. I have had mine for over 2 months now and it produces exellant results.
The fence has to moved before the out feed table can be lifted for thicknessing.

Thanks guys,

The bed length is OK @1250mm, longer would have been nicer though.

I have since found out:

The feed speed is 7.5 MPM which with three knives and a rubber outfeed should provide for a good finish.

The "working" height ( surfacing table) is 825mm, so I will raise this to 860mm to align with all my other machine tables and the bench top surfaces.

The clearance from a back wall to allow lifting of the outfeed bed is 180mm.

Can`t think of a reason not to go for this machine,
So looks like my trusty Scheppach260 is going to have to find a new home!

Streepips...
A couple of years ago Record were producing poor quality pt's.
Their web site was weird, as they had a forum for people who had purchased pt's from record to comment on the machines they bought.
This forum was open to anyone to read.
The sad thing with people is they only tend to post on this type of forum if there is a problem, and low and behold the forum was crammed with disgruntled buyers, complaining about build quality etc.

I e mailed record management and asked how they could allow adverse publicity to be put on full view for potential buyers, and would it not be a better idea to remove the forum, as it must affect sales ?

At any rate they hadn't done their reputation much good, and shortly afterwards the forum seemed to have vanished.
I suspect the men in charge of record were shuffled about because from what I read now the pt range was reduced and quality seems to have improved.
If you look at the pt300 it does look good value, cast iron, 12 inch width and 5 year warranty..plus I see £100 off the price as a 'Winter special'
What's more when you ring Record you can speak to someone, ask a question and they get back to you asap..not the case in the past.
On the face of it Record seem to have a winner, seem to have the right technical backup support and seem to have changed the way they worked acouple of years ago......if this is the case they deserve some praise...(British and all that!!!)
I plumped for the Kity back then because of the above, but am saving hard to purchase a pt before Christmas, and Record are top of the pile so far.

PS I don't work for Record...only the wife!!!!!

Mike

Mike,

I agree with all you say:
Record did indeed not long ago get a bad name, and as I said earlier the only products I would consider worth getting from them would be pillar drills and the 52 1/2 QR vice.Perhaps the bandsaws as well. But for table saws, planer thicknessers and other machinery they were poor, and quickly gained a poor reputation. Not just quality of machines but support and response were poor as well.
However, as noted, seems they are getting their act together again, and joining up with Startrite seems to have worked wonders.
I spoke with Record this AM and asked questions that could not be answered from the spec sheet or off the screen, I had a call back within the hour with answers and offer of a further discount from the promo price.Good stuff. I also asked if any of the Startrite technology had been ported over to the PT300.
The answer is yes, the fence ( check it out on the Startrite site) the surfacing tables, the thicknessing table, the casting for the motor mount etc, seems just the tinwork has been changed and a Record badge put on it. Even more reason /s to consider this machine!
Also, you mention you are looking to get one before Christmas, well not sure if you know but the price of this machine will be going up in January so before then is the time to buy.

I asked Record if they had had any teething problems, any issues with the machine, and the only "problem" they have had so far is that people are assuming it will run off a 13AMP socket, which it will not, it needs a dedicated 16amp commando feed,( which I have for all my machines anyway)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated ! Hope I can help you too sometime!

Chris

Streepips,

Didn't mention it before but I also rang Record to ask what material the drive gearing was made from.
One set are made from sintered metal and one set from plastic......but being an old fa...t can't remember which was which!!!!

Alzeimers onset, my wife calls it!

Mike

Latest posts

Back