record power VSLK problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help. I switch the unit on, I can here that there is power but it won't turn the lathe, which is a record CL4? It tries for a while and there is somemovement but no full revolutions and then it cuts out completely, which I presume is a safety thing. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Cheers
Elaine

Hi Nev, yes I can turn it by hand, not very well but it has always been like that.

Disconnect power and take off the belt.
now try spinning the motor, is it free?
now try spinning the spindle, it should turn quite easily and carry on spinning for 1/4-1/2 turn at least when loosed.

Thanks chas, I will try that tomorrow. I put the heater on in my workshop and left the power on and it finally started turning and no problems since. It did the sane yesterday. Are they prone to being temperamental in cold conditions? Think I need to look into it further as suggested.
cheers

Would not expect the 'turn by hand' to be stiff as you implied in your post, that's why the 'spin the spindle' advice.
Does the front bearing area get warm in use? might be the bearing is a little on the tight side and the cold is causing it to tighten up even more, lubrication will not be so viscus in the cold either.

It has never turned by hand, I have often wondered why at demonstrations at the local club the turner can spin the chuck by hand? So now I am even more confused. More investigations needed.
thanks

I may be wrong, I have no experience of those lathes but I believe the front bearing is tapered bronze, this is very good from the smooth running and load bearing point of view but the running clearance needs to be carefully adjusted. If the spindle is stiff you will need to slacken off the adjusting nuts.

There are several CL4 owners on here so someone should have the exact free spin level you need to aim at, I suspect it's somewhere between a half turn and one and a half turns.

But until you do the 'belt disonnected' checks it's all guesswork I'm afraid.

CHJ":2ehz99qv said:
I may be wrong, I have no experience of those lathes but I believe the front bearing is tapered bronze, this is very good from the smooth running and load bearing point of view but the running clearance needs to be carefully adjusted. If the spindle is stiff you will need to slacken off the adjusting nuts.

There are several CL4 owners on here so someone should have the exact free spin level you need to aim at, I suspect it's somewhere between a half turn and one and a half turns.

But until you do the 'belt disonnected' checks it's all guesswork I'm afraid.

you are not wrong..... :ho2

whilst I don't have the VS element my Coronet No3 is the same lathe.

you have 2 aspects to the headstock -

1. oiling
2. bearing adjustment

realistically I get about 1-2 revolutions on hand spinning a piece - if I get a less it's because I am spindle turning and have the tailstock wound in too tight!

the manual is very clear in this area - the lathe has been around over 50 years and the headstock is it's real party piece....so that's no real surprise!

you really should start by disconecting the motor from the spindle and getting the info from there

Thanks so much for your feedback. i have sent an email to record and will pursue it from there, then the manual. i don't think its the motor, so it must be the spindle. All very encouraging.
You are all starsand i appreciate the time you take and your wisdom. This is the first place i think of getting help and the forum members have never been anything less that helpful and supportive - brilliant

record power have left me a message and i will follow that up tomorrow. I think it will be the front bearing. i don't have a brass rod, is that necessary? In the instructions it call for this, anything else would damage it I believe. Will update this as soon as all is well.

Elaine":p6rpgofc said:
record power have left me a message and i will follow that up tomorrow. I think it will be the front bearing. i don't have a brass rod, is that necessary? In the instructions it call for this, anything else would damage it I believe. Will update this as soon as all is well.

i use a small cheap metal punch and a light (pin) hammer to loosen/ tighten mine, (its only the locking ring that needs (hammer) tapping)

Thanks Nev will give it a go tomorrow. I can tap lightly, especially with my fingers crossed. :lol:

I have fixed my lathe, the spindle was too tight. i now know how to change the belt, how to tighten and loosen the spindle, to oil and do regular maintenance. All of that from you guys and the manual from Record Power as mine got lost in the move.
A BIG thank you to each of you =D> =D> =D> =D>

excellent - apparently the gong rate for sucessful advice is to post a picture of something turned on the lathe.... :)

Elaine":wt35dyrb said:
.... All of that from you guys and the manual from Record
You see there is a reason for us spending so much time playing in the shed.

Glad you got it sorted, there's nothing better than fixing a problem yourself to give you maximum satisfaction when using the machine. From now on it will feel more like a friend and before long you will find yourself automatically tweaking the odd little thing that the ear or hand picked up.

Elaine":1am7do41 said:
I have fixed my lathe, the spindle was too tight. i now know how to change the belt, how to tighten and loosen the spindle, to oil and do regular maintenance. All of that from you guys and the manual from Record Power as mine got lost in the move.
A BIG thank you to each of you =D> =D> =D> =D>

super =D> did you splash out on that rather expensive record power spindle oil? i did :( i didnt notice the size of the bottle when i ordered it, quite a shock when the post came and there was this teeny miniature bottle at the bottom of the packet :shock: but that said, its the right tool for the job and it is lasting, just a drop or two before or after a major session and cheaper than a new bearing :)
so look forward to seeing the winning goblet this month from your newly fettled super smooth lathe :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back