Record Power vs Axminster Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojanhorse11

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this Forum.

I can't decide between the Record Power belt & disc sander (the £159 one - currently reduced to £139 during their "Christmas Cracker" discount) and the Axminster one (£119).

Any advice? Are RP better than Axminster? Same?

Here's an interesting couple of points I have noticed:

1) There is not one video on Youtube of the Axminster sander. Why is that? Is is because nobody wants them, or are they just not as well known as Record Power?
2) Every single video of the Record Power sander on Youtube is German! Why are the Germans buying Record Power? Are RP so good that the Germans are willing to buy them instead of their own Scheppach?!

I have a Record Power Bandsaw & I love it. It is a pleasure to use, so I always thought I would get a RP sander when the time came to replace my 13 year old Clarke sander when it broke. (Finally broke 2 weeks ago - I have been looking ever since!)

Final question: Is Record Power the same company as "Record" vices that were around from decades ago (my dad has one)?

Thanks you in advance - I know that was a long question. :D (hammer)

Record as a company has a long history (http://www.recordhandplanes.com/history.html), though no longer exists in its "original" form. Record Power appears to be a different entity (https://www.recordpower.co.uk/pages/about-record-power). In any event, as far as I know all the Record Power machines (and likely most of the budget Axminster) are now far east made - supplied to them with appropriate paint schemes and branding. That's not to say either are bad (I have a ~20 year old RP BS300 bandsaw and it's pretty good).

I've not used either of those belt & disc sanders; though based on a very quick look at the two, IHMO the Record looks slightly better. It's likely you'd find something that looks very similar to the Record sold under different brand names if you go hunting around (possibly even cheaper).

Record have a good reputation and normally a three year guarantee, although you will have to return a faulty item to them by courier, on the other hand Axminster have outlets in most major cities and have an equally good reputation for their returns policy, if you have an outlet locally, visit and see what you think of their products, personally I can't go into an Axminster without buying something, it's a big boy's toy shop.

MikeJhn":3csyumer said:
Record have a good reputation and normally a three year guarantee, although you will have to return a faulty item to them by courier, on the other hand Axminster have outlets in most major cities and have an equally good reputation for their returns policy, if you have an outlet locally, visit and see what you think of their products, personally I can't go into an Axminster without buying something, it's a big boy's toy shop.
Yes, support is a good point. I've found Axminster very good for after sales support. My one experience of RP support was pretty good too; so nothing to complain about either.

There is no substitute to actually getting your hands on an item and possibly even using it before you buy, some machines have a feel good factor, others leave you cold, and I am not saying either of these would do that, just that if you can go and have a look.

record power isnt the old record. these companies all just resell far east products. axminster are the same. I just feel axminster have better customer service. because they are bigger mostly.

It's a bit of a hike for you perhaps but there's a chance you could compare them side by side at Harrogate show this Friday to Sunday.
You would need to check with Axminster and RP that they wil have them but I've seen both at previous shows.

It's a good day out in any event.

I bought the Record Power one a couple of years ago and it's been fine.
The thing that swung it for me was that I couldn't tell from the axminster photos if the table was supported from both sides. If it's only one side then it will obviously deform under pressure. The record clearly has supports on both sides.
Anyway the disk proved too small for me in the end but luckily you can put the belt into vertical mode and attach the table to the belt section. This works great and its been fine ever since. I've not missed the disk at all.

HTH

-Neil

Just to update you, to those who answered me (thanks!)

I ordered the Record Power sander. It arrived and was faulty - the disc was loose and wobbled & rattled. It was also not connected to the drive correctly because you could turn it about 1/2 turn with your finger before the belt would move with it (& visa-versa: if you moved the belt along, it would take a while before the disc would turn with it it). It did not feel good at all.

Other than that, it seemed like a really nice sander.

It is now on return. I now have to decide between a replacement or refund.

I looked at the Axminster one in my local Axminster shop and that seemed really nice too.

Still a difficult choice!

Trojanhorse11":hjd0u0zl said:
Just to update you, to those who answered me (thanks!)

I ordered the Record Power sander. It arrived and was faulty - the disc was loose and wobbled & rattled. It was also not connected to the drive correctly because you could turn it about 1/2 turn with your finger before the belt would move with it (& visa-versa: if you moved the belt along, it would take a while before the disc would turn with it it). It did not feel good at all.

Other than that, it seemed like a really nice sander.

It is now on return. I now have to decide between a replacement or refund.

I looked at the Axminster one in my local Axminster shop and that seemed really nice too.

Still a difficult choice!

Record Power seem to have a reputation for selling kit that is a broken. Not just faulty, but damaged. Not sure if it is merely apocryphal stories on the internet, or they have some vindictive gremlins in the factory, but I am steering away from them on that basis. Reading reviews on their bandsaws is a litany of returned goods because parts have been broken, either in transit, or during assembly at the factory.

My advice.....

A 6" disc sander is neither use nor ornament unless you are just doing model making and small stuff. Bear in mind you are only using half of the diameter - 3"
The 4" belt is easily stopped if you apply any real pressure
Look for second hand separate disc (12") and belt sanders.

If you are determined to buy one this small, the one currently being sold by Aldi for £89.99 is virtually the same and has three years warranty.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/belt-and-disc-sa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Back