RECORD POWER TSPP250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it gets sorted, Pigw.

Still, at least you got lots of cast iron!

well piggy I am surprised :shock: at your comments, I have had nothing else but good service from record power, as several others who have posted follow ups also have had. At least record have their own service engineer, unlike jet/axminster. As far as I know record are the only company to offer their own engineer on site. As regards to the jet, that is £1295, an extra £495 and from what I've seen you get the sliding table on kitchen draw runners and a smaller sliding capacity and there is nothing really super about it. If you are going this far on price why not make the next step up and get a proper machine; a startrite or sedgwick, not a toy. I bought my startrite second hand 15 years ago (I think it was 10 years old then) after superb spares and servicing support from startrite it is still going strong to this day. :D

Yeah, you would hope that Startrite's quality will rub off on Record but I expect Record will drag Startrite down,
Based on my own recent experiance.

HI all ,
a very embarrassing thing happened to me last night- whilst confirming a radio controlled model aircraft plan i intend to build,(another hobby) i had allot of trouble with a few items on the plan that were not making sense as it turned out the protractor i was using was a peice of rubbish (HELIX). Unfortunately this was the protractor that i had used to read the angle of my bevel gauge whilst trying to set up my saw, so I feel i must erase the quoted angles from my previous post and apologize humbly to record for my mistake.
This however does not change the fact that the table was not level accross the blade well, it just means i cannot state what the angle is.

ON a good note i think i have now settled on buying a Scheppach TS2500ci as my new bit of kit. The Jet ss just wasn't configured right for my needs.

Many Thanks to all
Pigwhippit.

Hi Noely,
Yes Yes, I totaly deserve that and have no defence except to say that the four squares i used were checked and double checked and the gaps between the square and the blade were obvious to the naked eye so I stand by my claim.
Piggy

Hey, no dig intended.
Fully understand, and putting 90 degree business aside the TS wasn't up to spec and that leaves a bad taste, no matter what the outcome. You should've more luck with the Scheppach.

Noel

hi piggy I thought you had missed the point of my last posting, when I said you are paying 495 more and at 1295 you are on the cusp of moving up one full notch. I am sure you have made the right choice. It is an old adage but you really do to a great extent (although the jet does seem expensive for a very ordinary hobby machine) get what you pay for, if you can afford it of course, It is a pleasure to work with good tools and a nightmare to work with cheap ones.

Thanks and hi Fredb,
Sorry I didn't reply to your suggestion, I have only just calmed down enough to think and see clearly. Yes I would love to own a Startrite or a Sedgwick but it's a case of justification for spending that amount of money on one single piece of equipment and in my case i cannot , also I really couldn't bring myself to buy second hand allthough you have obviously had a good experiance im sure i will just get screwed (just look at the trouble im having buying new).
I never liked the jet, it was just that it is the next saw up the ladder and was planning to compare both it and the scheppach but the jet just isn't configured to what i want from a table saw so the Scheppach is all that is left. You will probably think me mad but i don't like sliding carriages(not to mention the space it takes up) all i wanted was a good rip capacity on the right and enough table on the left to support my homemade panel jig and a mitre slot on both sides of the blade plus accuracy.
After speaking with Asleitch I am willing to look at sliding gear but i think i would still prefer just a large table but am willing to be converted.
As i said to Asleitch- I would have been happy to pay £800 for the Record without the sliding carriage as long as it was accurate but it ain't ( not the one i had ) so boo hoo to Record, What good is cast Iron if it's not flat and smooth - just a waste of money.
What are your opinions on the Scheppach 2500ci?

hi piggy, I think you are right from what you tell me you cannot justify a full blown commercial machine for your purposes but the scheppach is a good half way house. The new ones I have seen now have a cast table which is a good improvement. I don't know whats inside it but it is best to have the mechanics of the machines anchored to the cast table to give you stability and accuracy. Sorry I am being a bit picky I suppose I am a bit spoilt, but It does seem to be a very good top range hobby/medium duty machine whatever.Looking at it it appears that all the bits and bobs like extensions and sliding tables can be retro fittable so if you ever get a larger space or different work you could expand it.
Last but not least being not fully assembled you will probably have to take a little time to set it up properly, perhaps your friends at homewood would be able to help if needed, I sometimes wonder how machines sent mail order ever get set up really properly, because they must go to such a wide range of abilities. good luck, let us know how you get on.

piggy,

I bought a TS2500 a few months ago, and whilst I agree with Fred that it's more "top-end hobby" than "low-end-industrial", I can confirm a few points that Fred has raised...

• * The internals are all mounted to the CI table itself, with the table being bolted to the body. The only part that is in contact with the steel body is the bevel adjustment bar that runs from front to back.
    * I think the saw now comes more assembled than it used to - mine came with all of the internals already set up (the only thing I had to do was connect the short length of extraction hose than runs from the blade to the outer casing). Then its just a case of attaching and callibrating the rip fence, blade alignment etc (although on mine the alignment was OK out of the box).
    * The motor is a 2.7Kw German Made Unit (on mine the manufacturer is EMG)
    * Set-up is a slight pain because Scheppach haven't updated the instructions from the old non-CI version, but it's not that difficult if you think it through.
I have some photos which might help, but no where to host them (I could put them in the gallery I suppose, but they'll take time to appear due to the moderation applied)...

HTH.

regards,
Martin.

Hello all,
Just to let you all know that although i had every intention of slapping my wad on the Scheppach on Saturday, I eventually settled for the JET JTS250s + a plain extension table to replace the sliding carriage when i need it. I had many reasons to go for the Jet most importantly the size, the Scheppach was just too big and would have been pretty much unusable with the space I have in my workshop.
Thanks for all your comments and advice/suggestions, and a big sorry to all you Scheppach owners, whilst it would have been good to join "The Club" like i say it was just too damn big.
Will post how I get on with it.
It is going to be a very long week.
Pigwhippit.

Back