Record Power SC4 Chuck Best Price?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't remember who but someone was after best price for the above and this is best I could find. Ordered one late yesterday afternoon, arrived ten minutes ago. Delivery on a Good Friday? Strange days indeed! Annyway, off now to have a look at it.

How do Record chucks compare with Nova and Sorby chucks as far as quality is concerned? I am looking for another chuck at the moment and am considering the SC4 as the price seems very competitive.

Bodger7":1n5o0n3p said:
How do Record chucks compare with Nova and Sorby chucks as far as quality is concerned? I am looking for another chuck at the moment and am considering the SC4 as the price seems very competitive.

I don't know, new to woodturning and this is my first chuck, chuck. The SC4 was recommended due to its interchangeable mount adaptors so if I ever change to a lathe with a different thread then all I need is a different insert.

Likewise the Versachuch has a changeable ISO backplate, so can be moved on. You also have the freedom to use any other manufactures jaws with another set of carriers. That's why I bought mine - I bought a job lot, sold on the bits I bits I didn't need for what I paid for the lot and had £150's worth of Axminster jaws free. So along came a Versachuck with Axminster carriers - if I wish to use my existing Nova jaws on it, I get a set of Nova carriers for it. Worth a look.
https://www.toolpost.co.uk/woodturning/ ... versachuck

The SC4 comes as a 'value added' package comprising of the chuck, carriers, 2" standard jaws, 87mm faceplate, wood worm screw, insert of choice, chuck key and a wrench, all for £125. My lathe is RP so made sense to stick with manufacturers' own, for me at least.

Came absolutely soaked in dust attracting oil - think RP must have shares in the stuff! - and I'm now trying to remember if it's acetone or white spirit or something else entirely to best remove it.

Paraffin. I have a parts washer so I use that but if I only have one small object to clean then I cover it in paraffin, clean with an old paint brush then dry. The paraffin gets left to stand overnight & the bulk is poured into a separate container to be used again. The crud gets saved in a half gallon container which when full gets collected by the bin men.

Back