Record Power Sabre 350 or alternative?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llibach

Reaction score
Hi, new member here and looking forward to learning a few things from you all.
I've currently got a Charnwood w730 bandsaw and in all honesty it's rubbish. Poor blade tensioning, awful bearing guides and I've had enough so I'm looking for a replacement. I need something that will get me at least a 200mm depth of cut preferably more. Budget is a max of £1000 and the Front runner at the moment is the record power sabre 350. I know people will recommend getting an old startrite or similar but I'm looking at getting something soon and don't want to wait till the right saw comes up used close enough to fetch it. Any input on the record power or suggestion on others in the same price bracket? Thanks.

Hi and welcome :)
Many members on here do have that machine and rate it highly, a fair few of them box makers etc. It has a good warranty, just need to make sure size wise it meets what you think you will need in the future.

Hi and welcome :)
Many members on here do have that machine and rate it highly, a fair few of them box makers etc. It has a good warranty, just need to make sure size wise it meets what you think you will need in the future.
Ye the size will be fine, my current one is fine regarding size just the quality is poor.

Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me, by comparing at the weight of the two of them, which IMO is the best idea one can have for an idea of quality.

What max width and gauge blade are you planing on using?
Asking because you mentioned poor blade tensioning.
That suggests to me a wide blade will be on the machine.

Something at the 200kg mark used, won't really need guides if you use a 3/4" blade...
Well, apart from a thrust guide.
The heavier you go, the less contact with the thrust guide you will have,
so less noise and damage/ less of a necessity to have those...
"all new design, super duper guides, which are orientated differently and are the biggest game changer since sliced bread"
:rolleyes:
(best I could find to fit a sarcastic emoji)

I'd hold out for an older machine personally, rather than rely on honeymoon reviews of a new machine to the market.
Or at least find someone in your shoes which has a similar sized saw already, to get an like for like appraisal, and not folks upgrading their Lidl saw or whatever to a larger machine.

Just some food for thought

Tom

Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me, by comparing at the weight of the two of them, which IMO is the best idea one can have for an idea of quality.

What max width and gauge blade are you planing on using?
Asking because you mentioned poor blade tensioning.
That suggests to me a wide blade will be on the machine.

Something at the 200kg mark used, won't really need guides if you use a 3/4" blade...
Well, apart from a thrust guide.
The heavier you go, the less contact with the thrust guide you will have,
so less noise and damage/ less of a necessity to have those...
"all new design, super duper guides, which are orientated differently and are the biggest game changer since sliced bread"
:rolleyes:
(best I could find to fit a sarcastic emoji)

I'd hold out for an older machine personally, rather than rely on honeymoon reviews of a new machine to the market.
Or at least find someone in your shoes which has a similar sized saw already, to get an like for like appraisal, and not folks upgrading their Lidl saw or whatever to a larger machine.

Just some food for thought

Tom
I want it mainly for ripping down 200mm boards for book matching guitar tops, I have been running a 3/4" blade on it which improved it a bit but it's just the overall quality that's bad. Every movement on the blade guard would require adjusting the bearings, there's also huge play in the guard back and forth which no amount of tightening will solve.
Just thought the record comes with 5 years warranty and is slightly heavier at 116kg rather than 92kg. It just looks a sturdier more reliable machine.

I bought a secondhand W730 and think it's brilliant. With a ½" Tuffsaw's sabrecut blade it'll rip 8½" oak no problem. My blade guard is jammed full up, (it was like that when I bought it, hence a good price) and I can't be bothered to free it, so no play at all so once the guides are set to the blade all's good.

Are you going to be resawing hardwood backs and sides, and not spruce/redwood/cedar tops?
I think you need to be looking at 20" machines really to be anywhere comfortable doing so, and using a 3/4" blade for a machine of this size.

I'd make do with your machine, and like Loftyhermes, use a half inch on it.

Are you going to be resawing hardwood backs and sides, and not spruce/redwood/cedar tops?
I think you need to be looking at 20" machines really to be anywhere comfortable doing so, and using a 3/4" blade for a machine of this size.

I'd make do with your machine, and like Loftyhermes, use a half inch on it.
Hardwood tops for electric guitars, so maple, walnut etc I think a 20” machine is just going to take up too much room. And too much
I bought a secondhand W730 and think it's brilliant. With a ½" Tuffsaw's sabrecut blade it'll rip 8½" oak no problem. My blade guard is jammed full up, (it was like that when I bought it, hence a good price) and I can't be bothered to free it, so no play at all so once the guides are set to the blade all's good.
It cuts ok just always seems that something needs adjusting even when you think it’s set something changes and this morning the guard had just given up completely.

EB 315.JPG
Checking for coplanar .jpg

Not much difference in the footprint of a compact 20" machine and a smaller one IMO.

Back