Record Power Sabre 350 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I want to say that this page and discussions have been informative and useful. I ordered and paid for the new Sabre 350 to arrive this week. Due to deliveryissues (I am based in Oslo, Norway) it was either me (I was first in line) or my friend who ordered the same saw who would get one this month. Having gone back and forth with the company, they came up with a solution! My friend gets the Sabre 350, and I get the Sabre 450 this coming Monday. It is a bigger saw than I will probably need, but I have the space and they gave me a serious discount, so now it looks like I get everything from the 350 and more, with the exception of the option of two speeds. This is my first 'real' Bandsaw (the previous was a tabletop 8cm depth cheap saw, which I have now sold).

Based on the discussion here I also went and bought four castors for making the saw movable. Lucky that I went for castors that hold 80kg each, sine the 450 weighs quite a bit more :)

Gerhard

Thanks for the videos Nick - the 350 is on my shopping list in the very near future, so great to see what I'll be getting in such detail :)

AndrewL":3anqiii5 said:
My Sabre 350 arrived yesterday. Today I screwed it together and made the first cuts. So far very impressed.

The Record Power Sabre 350 seems to be the sister model of Rikon 10-326 Deluxe Bandsaw
In the pictures almost everything seems the same, however resaw height is specified 13" (=330,2mm) for the Rikon. That is 45,2mm more than is in the Sabre 350 specifications. Blade length is the same 111". Did Record Power choose to limit resaw height because 330,2mm would be too much for the motor?

The Sabre I looked at had a Rikon sticker on one of the adjusting knobs. :) So it certainly shares some parts at least.

Cheers Peter

Great to get some positive feedback from the videos - I'll edit my original post in this thread to put the links there too.

I've been fighting the dreaded lurgy (and losing) the past few days, and was somewhat pre-occupied with finishing my workbench before that, so haven't got around to filming the blade change / drive belt change video yet. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get the chance.

Update.. It was some serious weight on it, but by the help of a neighbour, a trolley and a strap, we managed to get it installed. Easy to set up, and tested a 2x4 Hickory and it ran through it like butter. The biggest surprise so far is how quiet it runs.

Nick - or any other owners - how are you getting on with having it on wheels. Do you feel it affects its stability?
What are the dimensions of the base?
How good do you find the mitre fence? I'm wondering if I would get the RP one or another, eg:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodworking-To ... ZRN1HJ1ZGB
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodworking-Mi ... op?ie=UTF8
if the links don't work google
Woodworking DIY Tools Miter Gauge for Table Saw/Router Sawing Accessories Ruler
on amazon, they're sold by MBLUE
They look very much like the Incra V27, but are just a leeeeetle bit cheaper!
John

A mitre fence is for the tasblesaw unless you like shooting end grain with a plane.
You might get just OK results with a 1" blade on a bandsaw, but its still not the best
I dont mind shooting so I have a wooden one knocked up for 90 and shoot afterwards...
I wouldnt be hoping to get accuracy at a quick moment using a set jig and a bandsaw...
What about a mitre saw Like those new ones on Matt Estleas youtubes?

Tom

Google :- Matt Estleas youtube +"mitre saw" =no matches
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BTW Tom, I don't own a tablesaw.
I'm fine planing end grain.

Here is a link to the saw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmrUSqmrVe8
@ about 7 mins in.

It looks compact but I wonder how this new style would hold up after its full of sawdust?
Might just be safer sticking with the older style.
A second hand one would be more sensible of a tool purchase, than that nice jig you've linked to, for the work
your proposing to do with a bandsaw, and about the same price.
Tom

should ignore you really, Tom. Are you doing this to wind me up?
<A second hand one would be more sensible of a tool purchase, than that nice jig you've linked to, for the work
your proposing to do with a bandsaw, and about the same price.>
err the jig is £70 - that saw is >£700 so second hand at least £500 (unless it is so worn as to be unuseable).

If you're trying to be helpful, please stop!!!

Anyway, what makes you think I don't own 2 or 3 mitre saws already?
End Of Story.

Hi nick,

Any update on the bandsaw? Now you’ve lived with it for a while are you still pleased with it? Anything that you are not happy with or wish you’d gone for a bigger model for some reason? Etc.
I’m just looking for my first and probably only bandsaw and was agonising over the same 2 models as you did. The BS400 having the bigger engine, can take 1” blades, larger gap from blade to machine but without the refinements of the sabre 350. Not having had one before I really don’t know if I will need a larger machine than the 350. The main focus for getting one is it is going to be used to make guitars.
Any updates/advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

At the weekend, I was looking at a new Record Power bandsaw. I was looking or something like the BS350, BS400 or a Sabre 350. Both the BS400 and Sabre 350 bandsaws have previously been discussed on the forum and have had mostly good things said about them. I was able to compare the BS350 and Sabre 350 and decided to get the Sabre 350.

Hi Gerhard.
Just wondering how you have been getting on with the Sabre 450. I'm thinking of getting one would appreciate your opinions.
Te alternative for me would be the Startrite 403.
Thanks
Pat

Don't discount the Laguna 14BX, i believe it's similar in spec to the Sabre 450 and if anything like its big brother...a damn fine machine

Back