Record Power - Rip off carriage costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was just about to buy a camvac 386 large extractor from the RP site (£479)when I noticed the postal charge was £48 on top of that
OK its a bigish item you say, but my other purchase is their air cleaner, and the postal charge on that is only £12.99.
I accept the camvac is a bigger box, but weight wise between the two is 3kg(air cleaner is 14kg, vac is 17kg)

I've been buying and selling entire bikes, and a big bike box via the post office is about £25, Bike frames are usually £15 and the size off the box volume wise even for a frame is more than the volume size for the camvac.

It's a pineapple joke. Is it air freight or something??.
It's put me right off from getting an extractor from RP. I'm going to look elsewhere. WELL DONE RECORD POWER you rip off b'st'rd's :mad: :mad:

Are you sure?
I just checked on a CGV286-3-WALL Compact Wall-Mounted Extractor with 2 Metres of Hose and Easy-Fit Cuff
£459.99, del £12.99

No such thing. What they mean is that they include the P&P in the price!

Yer pays yer money yer makes yer choice
RP price = £479 + £48 delivery = £527.00

Ray Grahams price = £479 + £0 delivey = £479.00

That would be my choice 🤣

I lived near them. I am surprised they are cheaper! Always found them the most expensive place to buy anything. But, having said that, it used to annoy me the mainland to mainland deliveries could be free but NI (and the highlands and islands) had to pay expensive carriage costs.

Yep, my choice too, but there is no such thing as free delivery. It gets passed on one way or another.

I have a well known retailer a couple of miles away and I can always negotiate some discount to the web price if I collect rather than have “free delivery”.

Shame they don’t always carry what I want.

I've had another think about this, and maybe looking at some earlier options.
So I've started another thread.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...rofessional-ap50e-dust-extractor-230v.137411/The camvac i liked the suction power, but the whole postage thing is putting me off RP, and i'm thinking of buying their sabre 350 bandsaw off them, but if its 50 to send a 17kg extractor, heavens knows what they're going to charge to deliver a 6' tall 116kg bandsaw :eek:

So I've opened another thread ,this time for Axminster extractors. At least Ax dont add a delivery charge.
These are mainly HVLP chipping extractors rather than the camvac type, but i was initially toying with the idea of running an extractor system, so maybe something like the craft AC153E would be the better choice.
So if anyone has experience of those, preferably the Craft AC153E, post up your thoughts and experiences on it.

I shopped for RP BS300E & rejected the rediculous shipping cost. I bought mine from Tewkesbury Saws when they were hosting a RP exhibition, they're 30 miles away & as they were going to be delivering in my area they charged a 'token' £10 & the driver wheeled it around to my workshop, more than a courier would do.
I nexted looked for RPDML250 lathe 7 bought from Yandles with free delivery. Later I decided to buy the stand for it, but this time they (Yandles) wanted £40 , I guess they had to order it in from RP. I shopped around & found one at D&M Tools with frree delivery. I had to laugh when it arrived, made from 50 x 50 mm steel box section with 'FRAGILE' tape around the carton! :D

Last edited:
The camvac i liked the suction power, but the whole postage thing is putting me off RP, and i'm thinking of buying their sabre 350 bandsaw off them, but if its 50 to send a 17kg extractor, heavens knows what they're going to charge to deliver a 6' tall 116kg bandsaw :eek:
Why are you fixated on ordering directly from Record Power? Their products are available through a number of dealers (D&M Tools, Yandles etc.) who have more reasonable delivery charges. The warranty will still apply wherever you buy from. And if you can get to one of their shows you can normally get a better deal.

Why are you fixated on ordering directly from Record Power?
I think 'fixated' is a bit strong a word matey. Though i have ordered from them via their ebay shop a PT, which was delivered free and the delivery guys even brought it right in from the van to the workshop.
Plus it arrived with an entire roll of bubble wrap on it which i carefully unwound and used in my ebay sales for over 2 years :D
So my experience of them has only ever been god.
postal costs for the air cleaner are reasonable, but i was quite taken aback on the cost to send the vac.

But info taken on board. II'l look at Yandles for the camvac, and speak to scott& Sargent for the bandsaw, although im quite expecting carriage costs on the saw. just not unreasonable ones.

In the past Record Power used to offer free delivery when buying their large machines at one of the shows (whether dealer or woodworking show). Times might have changed now but it may be worth holding out until you can get to one of them.

Saying that, D&M are offering free delivery on the Sabre 350. When I bought my BS400, it was from D&M but it actually got shipped from Record Power. I've dealt with both Yandles and D&M and have been happy with them both.

In the past Record Power used to offer free delivery when buying their large machines at one of the shows (whether dealer or woodworking show). Times might have changed now but it may be worth holding out until you can get to one of them.

Saying that, D&M are offering free delivery on the Sabre 350. When I bought my BS400, it was from D&M but it actually got shipped from Record Power. I've dealt with both Yandles and D&M and have been happy with them both.
Im a wee bit away from getting the bandsaw as yet, really its a re-jig of the workshop with extraction being the first on the list, followed by bench arrangement and then which specific machinery, but i'll keep D&M etc in mind for when I do get around to that.
I just like to research and have the options figured out before embarking on what to get and where to get it.

The Sabre has a good depth of cut, which is something i need, along with the throat, but when you look at all the options something like the BS400 you have, isn't really a great deal more money(£150)
Im needing the bandsaw to replace my 10" sawbench and a 16" width is something to consider.

Can i ask you on your 400, is it a 16a socket, or does it simply plug into the mains through normal domestic sockets ?

Last edited:
Back