Record Power PT260 won't start in planer mode.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlacidCasual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps

I have recently bought a Record Power PT260 and assembled it this afternoon. I have tried to run it in both planer and thicknesser modes and it doesn't start in planer mode. I intend to register with Record in the morning and ask for support but int he meantime I thought I'd ask the community incase there is an easy answer.

So as far as I'm aware I have built it correctly and set it up correctly for planing mode with the extractor hood under the out feed table all the obvious micro switches clicked.

I have tried raising the thicknessing table until it touches the extraction hood as the manual says. But shining a light in the PT260 I can't see how this would help as there is no visible micro switch that needs to engage.

There is a microswith at the out feed of the thicknesser or below the in-feed table for the planer which is depressed and the actuator for the plunger has no obvious way of being actuated.
ILjoDbl.jpg
The little brown box above the micro switch has a lever arm that if pushed up releases the microswitch. But nothing seems to interact with the little arm the raised bed of the thcknesser stops well short when fully raised.

Ultimately the motor and electrics work but some set up issue is preventing planer operation and I can't see an obvious candidate for the problem.

Side micro switch with out feed table attached.
kaz5hs6.jpg

Out feed table attached and depressing button.
zH5v2rO.jpg

edit; Can anyone see the imgur images in the post?

Your pictures aren't working.

I believe there are two micro switches that need to engage for surface planing mode to work. The obvious one is when the feed table is engaged and the lever locks it down.

The less obvious one is hidden underneath the tables, and is engaged by the thicknesser table pressing the extractor hood up into the switch.

Be sure to align the extractor hood so the notches go either side of the cylinder, and don't be afraid to crank the table up firmly. I tend to wiggle the hood a little while I crank the handle to help it seat correctly.

Ok that for the reply.. I have tried raiding the bed until it is touching the extraction cover aluminium carrier (the one the 4 screws go into) but no joy. I’ll have another go tonight giving it a wiggle. I took the out feed table off and looked for this micro switch but I’ll be damned if I can see it.

Edit: got the photos working, the first one shows an interior micro switch that has a lever arm that moves upward but the thicknesses bed stops well short of moving it.

Ps. I’ll try and get the photos to work see if that sheds any light.

PlacidCasual":2nzimepu said:
the first one shows an interior micro switch that has a lever arm that moves upward but the thicknesses bed stops well short of moving it.

That's the one. The thicknesser bed doesn't hit it because it needs the extractor hood to sit on top of the bed. It's the hood that touches the switch

As I recall there's one behind the plastic cover on the side which engages and also one operated by the lever that locks down the outfeed table but my memory is a little hazy. Certainly the plastic cover has to be engaged correctly underneath which is occasionally a fiddle.

Thx for the replies.

Matt the micro switch you can see (in the first picture) that you think the extraction hood should engage with is under the in-feed table not the out-feed table so the extraction hood is on the opposite side of the machine if that makes sense. Is it possible it has been installed in the wrong place?

@mbartlett99 I think the out-feed locking handle micro switch is engaging but I'll recheck that, thx.

I think you are missing the separate extraction hood with the 100 mm port on it. This locates under the infeed table and operates the micro-switch

@jbentley30 Are you sure about that?

PT260 page on record power webby

In the picture on the Record Power website (link above) the in-feed table is on the right and the out-feed table in the left. I think that's correct, the in-feed table has the adjustment handle and gauge for planing. Assuming I have named them correctly the extraction hood is under the out-feed table in the picture.

In my first picture it may not be clear but the extraction port with the 100mm diameter outlet is attached to the extraction hood under the out-feed table. The micro switch is in that photo is under in feed table the one with the adjustment screw at the end.

Thx for all the replies btw and if we're talking at cross purposes I apologise I'm hoping I have made a silly mistake that someone can point out.

The piece with the 100mm port shouldn't be connected to the flip over port in planning mode. It locates just behind the roller you can see in your first picture and is trapped by the cast iron table and operates the micro switch

Brilliant, I see what you're saying now. I'll try that when I get home tonight. That makes so much more sense. Re-reading the manual I can see how I've misunderstood it now.

Thx jbentley30, mattbartlett99 and MattRoberts I appreciate you each taking the time to help.

I had the same problem when I first got my PT260, the manual is very unclear how the hoods fit.

There are two lugs on the back of the extractor hood, make sure the first (smaller) one sits on the thicknesser table when you wind it up to push it up against the table.

HTH

Back