Record Power PT260 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlacidCasual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Peeps

I’m thinking of splashing out and buying a planer thicknesses. The minimum cost that to my inexperienced eye seems to provide a reasonable quality is the Record Power PT260. At approx £650+ it’s about as much as I can afford.

Do people agree that it’s about the best I’m going to get new at that price point, I want a warranty and I’m no machinist to be tarting up old gear?

Also when or where is the best place to buy one, are there likely to be any shows or sales where I might save a bit soon?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Is the PT260 not the same machine badged by a few manufacturers? I recall theMetabo version being about £100 cheaper than the record one.

Thx for the responses. I'll look into the shows, see if there are any close enough to me to make it worth the effort going.
I assumed the 260 was the size so chance several will have similar sized but differently constructed machines, but will look at Metabo too.

And every other clone of the same PT, just choose who you want to buy from, at the moment Rutlands are cheaper than Screwfix, but always consider after sales service.

Mike

Hello, I have the record power pt260. It is my first machine of this kind so can offer no real comparison. I do find it easy enough to use but it should be used with suitable 100mm (ish) extraction. I find it clogs up pretty fast in use. Converting from planer to thicknesser is a few minutes. The fence can be made square or any angle to 45 degrees and seems robust enough. My main gripe with this tool is in thicknessing mode, most of my work is around the 40-50mm mark and there is a great big screw head right at that point on the scale :roll: . I find repeatability of thicknessing quite time consuming as it is difficult to gauge how much is being removed so bit at a time if trying to match another piece. Also note the noise from this tool, not overly distressing when running but once timber is running through being cut some ear plugs and defenders are a must.

cammy9r

Have a look at one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wixey-WR510-Di ... B001PTGBSK I have one on my thicknesser and find it excellent, but further to that I used to get all of my timber to a point that it needed thicknessing and then run them through at the same time, even to the point of two or three bits at a time, thus ensuring they where all the same thickness.

Mike

That wixey gauge looks good but will it work on a planer thicknesser where the table moves up and down as opposed to the lunchbox type thicknesser where the it’s the head that moves?

Go to the Wixey site where they have instructions for putting their gauge's on any type of PT, in fact there is specific instructions for the lunchbox type.

Mike

Hi

Did you end up going with the record model or something else?

I'm looking at getting something similar

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have the PT260 and really like it. It's easy to move around on the wheels if you're stuck for space and want it out the road when not in use.

Fiddly to change from planer to thicknesser for the first couple of times, until you get used to the set-up. I find it gives a pretty good finish. It’s noisy when thicknessing, but I’ve not stood at one that’s not noisy.

As per previous comment, it can clog up quite quickly if you don’t have an extraction system connected.

Jonny

Latest posts

Back