Record Power P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to buy one of these and one of these with my £1000 i have to spend :shock:

Anyone got any views on the P/T??

I have read the GREEAT review of the bandsaw...definitely getting that!! :shock:

It looks to be OK for the price :D

Ta

Tom

Hi Tom,

New toys on the way then. :D Do you have a chip/dust collector? You can get away with out one for the bandsaw, but the P/T produces large amounts of shavings which in you basement shop will swamp you very quickly.
I have the Perform ali version of the P/T, it works well the CI version looks good. I find that in thicknessing mode the machine does not self clear very well and the dust collector is needed to stop the waste going back through the cutter head and or the out feed rollers which spoils the finish. :x

I have just reread the Record power page and it says the bandsaw comes with a dust collector, excellent. 8)

Tom

I have the Record P/T 260, been using it for about 4 years and had no real problem. As dave says you will need chip extraction because it really eats the wood.

It gives a good cut in both operations, but Ifeel that it needs finishing off with hand tools.

The fence is fairly robust and sits at a trueangle on the table.

One thing I felt could be a bonus and that is wheelsto move it around. When I bought mine this kit didn't exist so my neighbour added wheel and handles so I can now move it like a wheel barrow. Not sure if they do wheel kits now.

The only real problem I've experienced with mine is getting the blades out of the block, its very fiddly. regarding the blade set up, I guess its the same as all the others. You will get ablade setter but I use the piece of wood method.

Other slight irretation is the instruction manual, not very good, the part that explains blade set up is not very clear. I went into the record forum and found some very useful pictorial steps on setting these up.

Overall I'm pleased with mine. I also note that the price is near enough the same as 4 years ago, thats got to be a big plus.

Let us know what your decision is.

Tom,

Another comment about the manual, if its anything like the one supplied with the Preform one, its pants, thanks for the prod Waka. :) However Axminster have had a replacement written, you can download it from their web site, covers most things, with pictures, written by someone who has used the machine. 8)

Tom,

That dust extractor should be OK, :D you will just need to keep an eye on the bag when thicknessing, so not to overfill it. DAMHIKT. :oops:

DaveL":1ip8vf3h said:
Tom,

That dust extractor should be OK, :D you will just need to keep an eye on the bag when thicknessing, so not to overfill it. DAMHIKT. :oops:

I did that last week :oops: ended up with more shavings on the floor then in the bag...

Tom

The dust extractor you have will work fine when in planning mode, but when thicknessing you will find that you'll be forever changeing the bag.
Myadvice would be togo for something with more capacity.

I got one at Yandles last show for £399 and it seems pretty good to me, although I have really used it in anger yet.

If you can get to a RP demo day somewhere you should get it for somewhere near that price.

Cheers,

Pete

I have got the PT 260. I have been reasonably impressed with it, apart from the manual, which is pants. I faile dto put it together using teh instructions. When I stoppe dusing teh manual, and used a commeon sense approach, I had it done in about 20 mins.

I have tried it out on some off cuts I had laying around the shop. Fantastic finish on some pine. Reasonable on some spalted beech, but this is a notorious wood to get a good finish on (at least in my experience).

All in all, happy with my decision.

Back