Record power model no3?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have found a record lathe. It just says record power model no 3, I could find nothing when I googled this. Obviously the lathe is commonly known as something else. So what is it? I noticed that a drive belt for a coronet no 3 fits this lathe, I wondered if record power rebranded the coronet brand of lathes. Also, how much is it worth in good condition with a sweet running motor and lastly will I have problems sourcing spare parts, face plates etc? Any info welcome thanks.
I also tried a record dml 36 sh it has the swivelling headstock but the motor is tiny, it seems as though the impressive capacity may be not so impressive if the motor is too weak to be effective. Any thoughts on that welcome.

Attachments

• F7A95A5B-ACEF-4F7F-8810-3CAC449C0511.jpeg
    F7A95A5B-ACEF-4F7F-8810-3CAC449C0511.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Coronet No.3, Record Power Model No. 3 , and Record CL3 are all physically the same, just differing names over time.
Okay thanks, the guy at record power said it was most likely a cl3. Apparently it has a no1 Morse taper. This is going to be my first lathe as I believe I will be able to grow with a cl3 but should I be avoiding a lathe with a no1 Morse taper. I have read it is not good but the coronet is a popular lathe. What do you think?

I'm still using my Coronet CL3 after 8 years of picking it up from a well known on-line market place, a nice lathe. There are a lot of 1MT accessories etc still out there, I've used Engineering Tools, Engineering Supplies lathe and workshop tools (chronos.ltd.uk) in the past for things like Steb Centre clones etc. I'd recommend ditching the bolt on the belt cover and use a magnet to hold it in place, saves a bit of time when changing speeds.

What ever you do just enjoy making shavings.
Cheers
Tim

I would say its an ideal first lathe, do not worry about the specifications too much until you have got a bit more familiar with wood turning. Yes an MT1 taper can be a bit small but for larger diameter work you can use a chuck which attaches using the headstock thread and not the taper.

I have owned a CL3 from new and have turned some quite large pieces(The one in my avatar is 14" diameter). Never had a problem with it being MT1 taper or even the spindle thread being 3/4 X 16.
Many on here have seen the work that I have produced so know that I am not a beginner to the hobby(The only reason I have not posted for a while is that I am sorting the garden so that I can have a 20 x 10ft new workshop)

What I have turned on my CL3

I bought a CL 3 in 1988.............. still using it.
An excellent lathe with no complicated electronic stuff to go wrong and cost a bomb to fix.

I've turned 18 inch bowls (off the bed with the swivel bowl attatchment), newel posts and stuff as small as lace-bobbins.

I'm still using my Coronet CL3 after 8 years of picking it up from a well known on-line market place, a nice lathe. There are a lot of 1MT accessories etc still out there, I've used Engineering Tools, Engineering Supplies lathe and workshop tools (chronos.ltd.uk) in the past for things like Steb Centre clones etc. I'd recommend ditching the bolt on the belt cover and use a magnet to hold it in place, saves a bit of time when changing speeds.

What ever you do just enjoy making shavings.
Cheers
Tim
Okay
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The lathe has all the paint no rust, the motor is quiet as a mouse. It comes with what looks like a bombproof banjo and a curved bowl turning rest, a cross shaped drive centre with a spigot which is removable, straight rest too. I am being asked 200 quid, is this a good price?

I have owned a CL3 from new and have turned some quite large pieces(The one in my avatar is 14" diameter). Never had a problem with it being MT1 taper or even the spindle thread being 3/4 X 16.
Many on here have seen the work that I have produced so know that I am not a beginner to the hobby(The only reason I have not posted for a while is that I am sorting the garden so that I can have a 20 x 10ft new workshop)

What I have turned on my CL3
Impressive, I like the painted pieces but my favourite is the lacewood. I am being asked 200 for the lathe, bowl turning rest, straight rest,drive centre and bits and pieces. Am I right in thinking 200 is the low end of what people are willing to pay for these lathes when in good condition?

I bought a CL 3 in 1988.............. still using it.
An excellent lathe with no complicated electronic stuff to go wrong and cost a bomb to fix.

I've turned 18 inch bowls (off the bed with the swivel bowl attatchment), newel posts and stuff as small as lace-bobbins.
I figured it was a good lathe because I am not a wood turner ( I am a woodworker) and I am familiar with the name.

I would say its an ideal first lathe, do not worry about the specifications too much until you have got a bit more familiar with wood turning. Yes an MT1 taper can be a bit small but for larger diameter work you can use a chuck which attaches using the headstock thread and not the taper.
Right, that makes perfect sense, I already know that it is 3/4 inch 16 tpi, I am sure I will get to know the nomenclature of the parts as I get to know the lathe.

Back