Record Power CL4 vs Jet 1221vs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanslade01

Reaction score
Going round and round and round for the last few weeks......and I dont have the lathe yet!!
Which one!?!?
Any experienced users of either of these lathes......I'll be turning small pieces ( so I think.....you never know).
What are the Pro's and Con's....?
My budget £1000 for the lathe...

No brainier. Of the two, jet every time. However, with £1k, if be looking for used vicmarc175, axmister 1628 etc.

What do you feel is better about the jet? Better quality, I know its has reverse sanding and I do feel the cast iron would ma kg e it more stable against vibration, I was worried about parts servicing etc, it's not as popular that I can see against the Record......I am also now looking into the others you mentioned, thank you

Would you not be better off comparing the Jet 1221 to the RP Herald?

I’d throw the Axi AT350 into the mix too just to confuse things...

Sorry... I’m in the same situation looking for my first lathe and trying to balance off the capacity against compactness. I don’t doubt the Jet’s are good but if comparing the 12-21 against the axi At350 (or hope supplied equivalent), I’d argue the Taiwanese special is better bang for your buck.

The RP Herald is the oddball; it’s capacity for its footprint appeals to me but I’m not a fan of the membrane type buttons... a dial is just easier to operate. That said, I haven’t seen one in the flesh so can’t comment conclusively.

Cards on table I don’t like RP twin bar design / machines.

Only improvement over years is to go to a through drilled m33 / MT2 spindle. Other than that, I want more for a grand. Cast iron much better at absorbing vibration, flat bed makes jigs easier, your tools don’t roll off, generally much heavier, banjo slides smoother........... 1hp is a bit tight fisted too at that price point and 12” diameter over bed also limiting.

There are many that love them and will argue all above is rubbish. That’s fine. But if I had £1k for a lathe I’d be looking top quality used machine of the type I suggested rather than one of these.

Simon

The last 1628 I saw on eBay went for £1400. To be fair it had the bed extension and riser post but it’s still a significant jump on budget and you’d have to factor in your time and fuel to go pick it up... They don’t pop up al that often.

It amazes me how well these things hold onto their value once used and out of warranty but on the flip side it probably won’t lose much more value if you ever came to get rid in the future.

Latest posts

Back