Record power cL3 starting problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doofusme

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1999 brook cramp ton motor on my cl3 and it does not always start 1st time, sometimes it can go 5 or more times in a row and then next time it stalls, I have tried a replacement capacitor but to no avail, a small turn of the shaft gets is spinning.
I think it has a start/run centrafugal switch which I can hear clicking as the motor runs down and I suspect maybe damaged or dirty contacts on this may be my trouble.
I have removed the fan guard but am stuck at removing the fan which I think I must do to access the switch.
Question, has anybody attempted this and am I on the right track?.?.?

Best wishes
Phil

I seem to remember having a similar problem many years ago with my No3 and it was found to be the commutators in the motor. I took mine to a motor rewind company and they sorted it in no time.

as Mark said, if the commutator is damaged/mucky/etc then the motor brushes (if it stops on the failed one) will not be able to move it to start the rotation.

You may find it makes a 'hum' when not starting.

and the small shaft turn places the brushes on working areas, hence the small turn will make it work.

very common problem with motors of any sort and age, we had same with a 1970's kenwood mixer, over time it got progressively harder to start (or control the speed).

Er....... Commutator?????
Don't think any Brook Crompton motors were brushed and almost 100% sure that Coronet/Record never fitted brushed motors to their lathes, even the most basic like the No 0. Dirty/sticking centrifugal switch sounds much more likely or, just maybe, a bad connection in the stator windings.

Yes Dick, quite correct it's a single phase ac motor so no brushes or commutator, I may cured it now by opening up the cover at the fan end and spraying lots of contact cleaner in there and letting it soak over night, it now starts 9 out of 10 try and seems to be improving more with use.
Thanks for your time
Phil

dickm":3u6nsfgn said:
Er....... Commutator?????
Don't think any Brook Crompton motors were brushed and almost 100% sure that Coronet/Record never fitted brushed motors to their lathes, even the most basic like the No 0. Dirty/sticking centrifugal switch sounds much more likely or, just maybe, a bad connection in the stator windings.

My mistake! That's what I meant. Shows why I'm a turner and not an engineer :)

dickm,
My old Coronet CL3 is suffering from the same problem as the OP and in your reply you mentioned " Dirty/sticking centrifugal switch sounds much more likely", any idea what I would be looking for on the motor to rectify this snag please?

Hi Tim
This is what I did to cure my problem.
Isolate and unplug the machine first
I Removed the fan guard
This then allows access to a cover that is behind the fan, it is secured by 2 screws, there are holes in the rant hat allow you to remove the screws and remove the cover,
With the aid of a torch you can see into the inside the of the motor.
The centrifugal switch is on the shaft at the fan end of the motor,
I then sprayed quite a lot of contact cleaner inside at the switch area.
Refit the fan cover and plug back in and start stop the machine numerous times.
Remove cover and spray more contact cleaner in there,
Repeat and repeat again.
If this not cure it right away spray some more and leave to soak overnight or a couple of days.
Mine now starts every time no problem, mine had been sat a number of years so I presume that the contact had tarnished and this method has cured the problem.
Good luck
Phil
P.s its electrical contact cleaner probably available for Maplins, DO NOT USE WD40

Back