Record Power BSD250 drive belt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a useful calculator to help with belt and pulley stuff. Pulley Calculator. RPM, Belt Length, Speed, Animated Diagrams - Inch Put in the pulley diameters and the centre distance. It then magically tells you the length of the belt you need. Also useful when you want to change the pulley for different speeds. The site has a lot of other calculators for the shop and construction, like stair layout, concrete volume, rafter/roof, bandsaw blade length and pulley speeds etc.

Pete

Not sure if this has been solved, but I’m after a belt for our machine at work. I count 73 teeth, 8mm pitch, 20mm wide and 584mm long.

Record Power have them at £16.99 plus vat plus carriage. It seems a bit expensive to me, anyone found a better solution?

I’ve been in contact with Record Power and this belt is a turnip fit and isn’t available elsewhere.

They’re currently out of stock but expected 28/02/22. I’ve ordered one ☝️ the cracked existing one lasts that long.

I seriously doubt Record went to the trouble of making up a special belt for the machine. Take the belt to a bearing and drive specialty store and they will be able to find an equivalent. I'd rather drive a couple three hours to get the belt now rather than wait couple months to see if Record actually gets a shipment on time. I would even take the two pulleys along with the belt and get replacements to go with a common belt if the one you have is that much of an oddball orphan. Up to you though.

Pete

I seriously doubt Record went to the trouble of making up a special belt for the machine. Take the belt to a bearing and drive specialty store and they will be able to find an equivalent. I'd rather drive a couple three hours to get the belt now rather than wait couple months to see if Record actually gets a shipment on time. I would even take the two pulleys along with the belt and get replacements to go with a common belt if the one you have is that much of an oddball orphan. Up to you though.

Pete
The guy I spoke to at Record Power sounded pretty genuine and said they’d tried unsuccessfully to source from a few European companies.
I can find one at 284mm long, 20mm wide and 8mm pitch but the teeth are a different rounded profile. The Record Power belt has very shallow square teeth.

Like I suggested. Perhaps it would be better to switch out the pulleys for a more common profile with a belt to match. I hate manufactures that don't use off the shelf parts when they make things.

Pete

Like I suggested. Perhaps it would be better to switch out the pulleys for a more common profile with a belt to match. I hate manufactures that don't use off the shelf parts when they make things.

Pete
I’m not that familiar with engineering stuff to be honest, but I did look at some pulleys on eBay this afternoon after reading your post.
The only problem I see is that two pulleys and belt would probably cost more than the £28 for the Record belt.

Hello again all,

Not been looking at the forums for a while, so didn't know this had been picked up again.

I contacted Record Power originally and they said the belt was out of stock, with no clear indication of when it'd be available. As I think has been mentioned, they seem to have had some trouble getting hold of the correct belt themselves.

I then did a bit of web browsing and decided that a good intermediate solution was to just use a flat belt of the correct width and length. (Piece of string method for finding length). Not ideal given the original is toothed, but a decent quick fix at least.

The flat belt arrived, I fitted it, and it did the job very well. It didn't slip as I thought it would, and survived right up until the genuine part arrived from Record.

George

Just for future ref when mine eventually goes what size belt did you buy and where from
Thanks

I don't understand the problem here. Will the people at Record Power or one of their distributors simply not tell you what size belt you need?
If not, as mentioned above simply measure with a piece of string and order the size you need. I don't expect that a small belt will cost much more than a few quid. As long as you don't buy one in RP packaging that is.

Back