Record Power BS350S blades - minimum width?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartecosse

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a look in the manual and it doesn't actually state a minimum or maximum width.

I was wondering if anyone has used a 1/8" blade on it?

thanks

I have by closing the side guides against each other, and running the blade in the curve on the front beteeen the bearings, obviously the rear thrust bearing plays no part, not particularly successful, but it worked after a fashion, Carter's in the USA make a unit specifically for this, Alexam on here has one on a BS400 and no doubt will be along to advise.

Steve Maskery suggests that making some hardwood or even mdf linings or replacements for the bearings, and using these to fully support the blade. The teeth of the blade are allowed to cut into the wooden “bearings” and thus make a zero clearance fit and fully support the blade. I’m sure it’s detailed in his workshop essentials bandsaw DVD’s which if you haven’t got you get. I have an SIP 14 inch bandsaw that I’m going to have a go at using this method. I bought an 1/8th inch blade from Ian at Tuffsaws months ago but I’ve not got round to trying it yet.

That got me thinking, just cut a slot in some hardwood and trap it between the bearings, stabilise it with the thrust bearing, must try that.

Mike

Yeah its 1/4", although the unit itself does say 1/8th which Record have told me is wrong.

I have the carter unit myself, it's pretty good if you're after very tight curves.

If you are having a hard time resolving the issue i may be persuaded to part with it - PM me if so

joe

My RP guides were shocking they wobbled side to side so you couldn't contain the blade without them jamming together at the back. And the same wobbly guide discs at the back of the blade allowed the blade to be pushed back so far that it ruined the set on the teeth.
Fortunately the threaded guide carrier is exactly 10mm internal diameter. I took them out and placed 10mm wooden dowels in instead of the guide discs. This allows me to use as small a blade as I want because the dowel rubs safely against the whole of the blade including the teeth without fear of it damaging the teeth or set of the blade.
I also soaked the dowel in a light oil in the hope that it would add lubrication. I don't know if that helped but my blade does not get hot.

I'll post a photo if you're interested.

-Neil

Mike, try
"control panel"
and
"manage subscriptions"

youll have to scroll back through time so it might take you a while.

Here's my improved guides.
20180325_143622a.jpg

Close up of dowel in carrier
20180325_143622a.jpg

Hope that helps

Neil S

Attachments

• 20180325_143622a.jpg
    20180325_143622a.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 420
  • 20180325_143748a.jpg
    20180325_143748a.jpg