Record Power BS350S Bandsaw Modifications - Part 1: Blade Guide Upgrade Using Rikon Tool-Less Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the image showing the approximate dimensions. The dashed red line shows the profile of the frame before the cuts.

BS350S-Blade-Guide-15a-XL.jpg

Thanks for this thread. Just fitted this kit to my 350 today to your measurements. Perfect job and works a treat. This is a great upgrade. Cheers.

Thanks for this thread. Just fitted this kit to my 350 today to your measurements. Perfect job and works a treat. This is a great upgrade. Cheers.

You are welcome, and I'm glad you're happy with the results. Were you a bit apprehensive about making the first cut in the chassis? :oops:

Hi

Another option is to fit the Record Sabre guides to the earlier machines, been looking at this and I would initially only change the top guides. I think the Rikon machine is another clone based on Record or vica versa.

Were you a bit apprehensive about making the first cut in the chassis?

Not really - From your thread it all looked straightforward. When I came across your mod, it instantly looked like a good upgrade because I've never been totally happy with the original guides. You did the hard work, figuring it out. It only took me an hour or so to fit.

Another option is to fit the Record Sabre guides to the earlier machines, been looking at this and I would initially only change the top guides. I think the Rikon machine is another clone based on Record or vica versa.

Roy, if you want yet another option, Lee at A.L.T. Saws and Spares LTD offers a direct replacement set of upper roller guides for the Record Power BS300E, BS350S, and BS400. In August, he quoted £83.40, which included the 20-percent VAT. I have no idea if the price changed. The part number is RPRG1, but it is not listed on his website. I found a reference to these guides and emailed Lee.

RPRG 1 UPPER ROLLER GUIDE 3.jpg

Image from A.L.T. Saws and Spares LTD

The literature for these state the upper guides do 80-percent of the work, so he doesn't offer the lower guides. There is a loss of 50mm in cutting height with these rollers.

Cheers Mike

I have seen something similar that also reduces cutting height, why don't they design without the loss in cut!

The Rikon conversion resulted in a loss of about 10mm, so I can live with that. I am interested in your results if you decide to install the Sabre350 guides.

The Rikon upper guide replacement was fast...remove bolt, remove old guide, install new guide, install same bolt. The rest of the upgrade took time since I had to cut the blade guide and upper wheel housing. The Rikon doesn't have a safety switch in the upper wheel door, so the blade guide can be longer.

Hi Mike

Having looked at the Sabre machine it looks like it attaches onto the same single stub as the Bs400 and should be a simple fitment and hopefully have a better blade guide. I am only looking at the top guide as I have found the lower guide adjustment seems to make no difference to the cut wheras the top guides do.

The Rikon conversion resulted in a loss of about 10mm, so I can live with that. I am interested in your results if you decide to install the Sabre350 guides.

The Rikon upper guide replacement was fast...remove bolt, remove old guide, install new guide, install same bolt. The rest of the upgrade took time since I had to cut the blade guide and upper wheel housing. The Rikon doesn't have a safety switch in the upper wheel door, so the blade guide can be longer.
Not proving easy to purchase this at the moment.

Hi guys.
This is a great thread full of information and I would love the opportunity to fit these guides to my 350S but can't find any.
Is there anyone who's knows where I can make a purchase.

Many thanks

Dave.

@Dave B I've looked for European sources, and can't find any. I found several sources from U.S. vendors, but couldn't find any who ship to Europe.

MikeeK,
excellent write up.....and photo's.....
just one small thing, in the future u would be better with a 3-4 mm hole drilled into the frame (or anything plate wise) at the internal corners....
then just cut to the holes...apart from a neater job it also stress relieves the cut corners, partiq on something with stress...
just sayin...

MikeeK,
excellent write up.....and photo's.....
just one small thing, in the future u would be better with a 3-4 mm hole drilled into the frame (or anything plate wise) at the internal corners....
then just cut to the holes...apart from a neater job it also stress relieves the cut corners, partiq on something with stress...
just sayin...

Thank you and I take your point on the stress relief holes, or maybe even radiused corners. The analysis on the BOAC crashes were required reading in one of my engineering courses. If the modifications had been closer to the vertical riser, I would have made different cuts to account for the strain relief.

Well after reading up on that thread which covered the Axminster HBS350N blade guide set for upgrade on the BS350 I am all about ready to buy a set for my saw.
I have to just ask if I may. Mike K, are the sabre 350 guides the same as your Rikon guides with the exception to the extended front locking knobs for the side bearings on the top unit?
If there are close enough i might consider those as well.

Thanks you for your time everybody.

Dave

Well after reading up on that thread which covered the Axminster HBS350N blade guide set for upgrade on the BS350 I am all about ready to buy a set for my saw.
I have to just ask if I may. Mike K, are the sabre 350 guides the same as your Rikon guides with the exception to the extended front locking knobs for the side bearings on the top unit?
If there are close enough i might consider those as well.

Thanks you for your time everybody.

Dave
Dave,

I think the Sabre guides are similar, but not identical. The upper guides might be closer to the Rikon guides, but the lower guides are different and might not fit on the BS350.

I found a few closeup photos of the Sabre lower guides and compared them to the Rikon guides. The L-shaped mounting bracket and bearing mounting block are different. The bearings sit higher in the Sabre 350 chassis than the Rikon bearings, which will require removing more material from the chassis top. However, it might be possible to mount the bearing block with the L-bracket inside the chassis and still have room to make the adjustments on the rear bearing.

Record-Power-Sabre-350-Bandsaw-Guides-768x511.jpg

This is the Rikon lower bearing guide installed in my bandsaw.

BS350S-Blade-Guide-21-XL.jpg

Latest posts

Back