record power bs350, any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatthumb

Reaction score
I've been offered a new one of these at £460inc vat and it looks like an okay quality saw but I've never owned a bandsaw and have only ever used bigger industrial ones. Does anyone have one and are they pleased with it? Any help much appreciated. Also, while I'm here, has any one out there built a cyclone extractor for there shop? Oneida make some beauties but are too expensive for me, any input on that would be great too!

Sorry for being such a demanding newbie!

Can't help you o the bandsaw front, but Keith Smith has built a cyclone. I think he is writing about it in this month's Woodworker. I don't have a copy, but I saw it in WHS a week or two ago.

S

fatthumb":1u73et1l said:
I've been offered a new one of these at £460inc vat and it looks like an okay quality saw but I've never owned a bandsaw and have only ever used bigger industrial ones. Does anyone have one and are they pleased with it? Any help much appreciated. Also, while I'm here, has any one out there built a cyclone extractor for there shop? Oneida make some beauties but are too expensive for me, any input on that would be great too!

Sorry for being such a demanding newbie!

I've got a BS 350. Mine has the cabinet base with wheels. they can have a frame base with wheels, in my opinion the cabinet type is better.

They also changed the fence, the ealier madel came with all extruded ally slide and fence the later model came with a round steel slide and a large extruded ally fence the round steel slide the later one being better.

Some deals included a mixed set of five saw blades, don't be swung by this offer the blades are useable but not good, for perfect blades use Dragon. I paid £500 for mine about three years ago so £460 is about right but I would offer a bit less and see what the reaction is. :)

I've got this saw - I paid £450 from Yandles last year.

I have the open frame type which LN refers too. Don't think that cos it has wheels it is manouverable though - it isn't. I'm making an enclosed base for mine and putting four castors on it.

I've found it to be quite a good saw for the money. My only real gripe is that the fence cannot be removed without undoing various bolts - a bit of a PITA. Apart from that, good saw. And with a 5 yr guarantee.

Like LN says, get some Dragon blades for it - the standard ones aren't a patch on the Dragons.

Cheers

Karl

I have this saw. Purchased it a couple of years ago with the cab base for £399 at a Record promotion show.
I have been very pleased with it. The only problem I have had is this the tensioning mech. Mine kept stripping
the thread inside. However, Record were very good and kept replacing it the next day FOC. It turned out to be
a fault and a new heavy duty tensioning mech was designed. The sent this out to me and I haven't had a problem
with it since. In all, I'm very pleased it and Record as a company for their great after sales support. I had a flyer
through a week or two ago for another of these promotion shows. The saw is £469. PM me if you want details
and I can scan it in and email it to you.

Check this link out to see if there is a show near you.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php?section=shows

Cheers,
Sam

I've got one as well. Bought it Nov 2007 at Yandles show, paid £399 including the wheel kit, not the cabinet. Dust extraction isn't that great.
You can get the fence off if you tip the table to 45 degrees. Mine has the steel bar for the fence so don't know if that makes a difference.
I had a few probs when I got it, NVR switch packed up second time and the fence lock bolt was bent but Record service was 120% and sorted both issues really fast.
It's quite a big beast so make sure you have the room for it.
Haven't used it a huge amount and do need to get some decent blades, bought it to resaw some ash I have but have yet to do the deed!

I have one as well, and I'm very pleased with it. I changed the blade to a M42 from Dragon Saws and it cuts great. I usually try to suck the dust from the bottom guides with a separate vacuum and this cures the dust problem. Another tip is to seal the doors with draft excluder.

I got the Record BS350,and am really pleased with it.
Mainly cutting my blanks up on it,for turning from some large logs.
I would also recommend Dragon saw blades for it though :D

I have a BS350, one of the earlier ones with the extruded fence.
I have not had any problems and would also recommend Dragon blades.
When tensioning, I have found it best to do it incrementally, releasing the tension with the lever, adjusting, retension and check. Then repeat until its just right.
HTH
John

Many thanks, I think I'm sold. I'll also get on to Dragon blades and get an order in. Thanks again.

Back