RECORD POWER BS250 WOES

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered online a Record BS250 band saw last week. it came with the box intact but the machine damaged.
The base was badly twisted so it wouldn't sit flat, cracks were in the welding and a plastic cover had the holding lugs broken off.
No problem with the supplier and 2 days later a courier came and exchanged it for a new machine.
:shock: :shock: :shock: This one was damaged as well, again the base was twisted, a metal cover over the motor was well buckled and a micro switch on the bottom door was not working. The welding although not cracked was poor (typical Chinese stuff)
Anyway to the suppliers credit they have arranged for a 3rd machine to be delivered tomorrow (fingers crossed).
If this is damaged I will be asking for a refund.
It seems reading reviews about this machine its a big problem about them being delivered damaged, and that Record don't seem to want to address, the packaging is worse than completely useless

Phone the supplier and get them to check it out before delivery in view of the past two damaged ones. They should be pleased to help out.
Malcolm

Possibly worth a warning of extreme caution with nearly new machines appearing on popular auction sites.
Customer returns do have a habit of being disposed of in this way. I think Axi have used this method in the past.

Myfordman":3i9uiqno said:
Possibly worth a warning of extreme caution with nearly new machines appearing on popular auction sites.
Customer returns do have a habit of being disposed of in this way. I think Axi have used this method in the past.

Its illegal for a retailer to se-sell a customer return even if it was returned free from any damage, what they can do I think, is set up a sister company selling refurbished or graded goods.

What do you base that opinion on Rob....?

I remember looking at an Axminster 10" planer thicknesser for sale ( buy it now price) on e b a y last year that was stated as a " Customer Return"
I doubt they ( Axminster) would be able to do that if it was illegal. It was definitely Axminster that was selling it as they wrote a lengthy explanation of why it had been returned.

Bosch sell lots of so called refurbished tools either in plain white boxes or standard boxes with extra sticky tape marking them as refurbished.
The contents are perfect and not a single spec of dirt, dust or scuffs.

The trade descriptions act states that an item sold as ''new'' must be ''new'' , a returned or refurbished item must be described as such, If you sell an item to someone it is no longer ''new'' , if they send it back, regardless of condition it is second hand.
Lots of info on the net regarding this, wasn't it Dixons or curries who got slammed for selling second hand goods as ''new'' a few years back?
Argos apparently do it all the time though.

Distinterior":10puihuf said:
What do you base that opinion on Rob....?

I remember looking at an Axminster 10" planer thicknesser for sale ( buy it now price) on e b a y last year that was stated as a " Customer Return"
I doubt they ( Axminster) would be able to do that if it was illegal. It was definitely Axminster that was selling it as they wrote a lengthy explanation of why it had been returned.

They were not selling it as ''new'' , and lots of companies use EBay to flog their customer returns, or ''outlet'' sites.

http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdfh1/ ... lXX&ven2=e

https://www.nilfiskoutlet.co.uk/

From the Dell outlet (where I bought my computer)..

Outlet new products are factory sealed products that were either cancelled or unopened returns. Dell Outlet new products do not have any cosmetic damage.

Certified refurbished products are previously opened/used products. These products are submitted to a rigorous refurbishing process to achieve the highest quality and performance standards. Products may have some observable cosmetic blemishes that do not affect performance.

phil.p":2p97lqle said:
So all the hundreds of millions of pounds worth of goods returned under distance selling regulations can't be or doesn't get resold? I doubt that, somehow.

They cant be sold as ''new'' , no.

Oh, now I see what you mean!

You were referring to items being sold as "New". I thought your statement was referring to all returned items.

About 10 years ago, a guy who was working for me was looking for a Dewalt Flip Saw. He & I found one being sold as a "Factory Return". We contacted the Dewalt dealer that was selling it and arranged to go and look at it, as it was only about 25miles from where we were working. It was in superb condition...!!!! It looked absolutely brand spanking new!
It was for sale for less than 2/3rds the price of a "New" one. It came with a 12month warranty and as far as I know, it's still working fine to this day!

Apparently, this Dealer used to buy up transport - damaged tools direct from the manufacturer, repair them with genuine manufacturer parts, and then sell them on.
With that experience in mind, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a tool in these type of circumstances.
I think you would really need to be able to view the item though, as taking a chance based on a few pictures on a website can possibly be misleading.
Tim.

Hi Bob.

I have a BS250.

The 250's have a reputation for being damaged, have a look on amazon's reviews. It nearly put me off buying one. I got mine at a trade show, I had to go through 4 or 5 boxes to find one that wasn't damaged. They have no padding, polystyrene, nothing. The put a heavy machine in a thin cardboard box. I think the machine is great but the Record Power's packaging is shameful. It must cost them a bomb in returns.

Oh well 3rd attempt today, the idiots delivered the machine to my fathers address who had bought it for me using his credit card and not to me which was the previous delivery address.
Anyway the courier wouldn't leave it as there was no exchange.
A wasted week and a waste of my time.
I cancelled the order.

I had a Record BS250 delivered at the end of August, but only got round to opening the box today.

After assembly I switched it on, it sounded like a box of knives and forks in a washing machine.

Upon closer inspection I found that the motor cover at the rear had been dented during transit and the motor fan was contacting the motor cover. I removed it and knocked it back into shape from the inside with a rubber mallet which fixed the problem.The machine also has some heavy scuffs to the paintwork.

I does seem to work very well though, and imagine will be better when I upgrade the blade.
It's a bit disappointing however to get a brand new machine in this kind of condition.
I may send an email to Record Power.

I have looked at some returns from Axminster , Record etc. Axminster certainly seem to make it clear why it was returned, repair and test before reselling.

What surprises me is that prices are often bid close to the showroom fresh price, albeit without the benefit of a full warranty.

My Record BS400 arrived damaged. It was, as others have said, poorly packed.

It was attached with substantial bolts to a rather small wooden base, one of the bolts was bent through about 30 degrees and the wood had split there and at another hole.. The top door was dented, and there was other damage to paintwork.

Fortunately, all of it was cosmetic, and the tool works well.

The fence, however, was faulty -- replaced without question, and a free blade thrown in.

Back