Record power bench mounted bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small, bench mounted bandsaw (Record Power BK 3 mk II ) that I have had for donkey’s years. Although it was originally intended for woodcutting, I’d like to put a metal cutting blade on it for the odd occasion I need to cut metal. Trouble is, I can’t remember the blade size, and it’s not indicated on the machine. Does anybody know what it is?
D.

Record BK3

According to this advert, it's 1435 mm (56.5")

Screenshot_20220404-175512__01.jpg

HTH

Cheers, guys.
1435 mm from two sources is likely to be right.
The only difference between my machine and the machine in Jamie’s advert lies in the machine speeds. Mine has two speeds ; 440m/min (1443ft/min) and 110m/min (360ft/min).
D

Blade speed is a bit high for metal cutting. Aluminium not too bad but steel will blunt blades fast. I avoid metal cutting on my bandsaw. Not just because of blades but also getting metal swarf all through the machine. Odd times I do cut steel is with a metal cutting blade in the jigsaw or the angle grinder. The old hacksaw is also fine for small bits.
Regards
John

Thanks, John.
I have a floor standing bandsaw which is my go to machine for wood cutting, and, for the reasons you say, I would not dream of using it to cut metal.
I thought about using the Record for that purpose because it would avoid having to use a hacksaw on sheet material (mainly brass).
Would the lower speed be ok ?
Regards
D.

I think the slowest speed of your saw, 360 FPS, is still too fast for cutting metal. All of the bandsaws I have used for metal have a blade speed range of 70-150 FPS. Any faster, and you run the risk of work hardening the metal and ruining the blade.

Cheers, MikeK
Would that apply to a non-ferrous metal such as thin brass sheets using M42 blades.?
D

I have no idea about the brass sheets. I would be tempted to use a fret saw or scroll saw with a fine blade for thin sheets.

Democritus,
thought I'd check for u....
My SIP horizontal metalcutting bandsaw (with coolant) it's slowest speed is 72fpm....
it has roughly 12" wheels....cant check as it quite a job to remove the guards...the other speeds are 114-147-214....
I only ever run it on it's slowest speed with Tuff Saw M42 blades....
most of my cutting is mild steel solid bar 70mm and 10"x 8mm plate...

Thanks , clogs. From what everyone has said, it looks like my machine runs too fast, although i’d never be cutting mild steel bars or 8mm plate. I’m basically a woodturner, and sometimes use brass inlay on bowls. This comes from thin rods, brass wire, or 1mm brass sheets.. I have always used shears or a hacksaw for this, but thought a bandsaw might be easier.
Ah, well, back to the drawing board.
D.

Don't give up on your BK3 two speed bandsaw. Using the slow speed the following should be possible cutting mild steel and non-ferrous metals.
Using a blade with 14 tpi [teeth per inch]. Cutting 25-1.5mm thickness is possible.
Using a blade with 24 tpi. 1.4-1.2mm thickness is possible.
Using a blade with 32 tpi. 1.2-0.3mm thickness is possible.
My saw has a single speed motor and fitted with a low speed drive wheel which gives a blade speed of 350ft/min using 1/4" wide blades. With the thinner materials a thin ply backing helps to prevent distortion.
Just remember the saw is low powered so take it easy. Good luck.

Back