Record Power Band Saw Owners: Advice Sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_0297.JPG

Or, more accurately, nut, singular. Should be two but one has somehow sheared in half. It's from a Record Power BS350S bandsaw and it's used to secure the rip fence to the locking assembly. RP want £11 for a replacement. No, you didn't read that wrong, ELEVEN POUNDS FOR A SINGLE NUT! Nuts to that.

To fellow RP bandsaw owners, any idea why the extrusion is milled the way it is (might need to go back and photograph it)? On one edge, and from memory I think it's the edge that give a short fence for working with thin timber,it's milled only a short way, just long enough for the locking assembly to slip into. On the other. there's a channel that runs the full length but only the first 60mm or so wide enough to accept the locking assembly, making it impossible to flip the fence out of the way or simply slide it off without taking it apart. If both channel swere full length and ever so slightly wider it would be simpler to slacken of the nut(s) and slide the fence back far enough to clear the upper cabinet.

How long does the rip fence need to be?

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 687
IMG_0298.JPG

Here you can see what I mean about the fence being too long to flip up out of the way. I did put a tape measure on it and it's around 550mm long.

IMG_0302.JPG

Here you can see one edge of the extrusion, showing a channel running the full length of the fence. However, this part of the channel is narrower than the part occupied by the locking block, as seen in detail in the photo below

IMG_0301.JPG

And then there's this truncated channel on the other face; this corresponds with the short, wider channel shown in the full length photo.

IMG_0300.JPG

I've improvised for now with a regular 6mm bolt and hex nut but it's a battle to get the fence perfectly parallel to the mitre slot. I am wondering if this is much of an issue though - a youtube video I watched earlier suggested it's adviable to have it running slightly out so it doesn't bind behind the blade?

Attachments

• IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 654
I have the same bandsaw but use an aftermarket fence. I'll check to see if I've still got the nuts from the old fence and can send you them if I still have them. Might not get a chance to look today, but I'll get back to you soon.

I went for the Axminster Deluxe Rip Fence Upgrade. My main complaint with the original one with the BS350S was the screw locking mechanism which always seemed to move the fence from where I'd set it. The locking lever on the Axminster one doesn't seem to do this, so I'm happy with it.

Also, I understand the reason for the short channel in the face (they have to maintain the rigidity of the front face and a full channel would compromise that), but I have no idea why the slot narrows to an unusable width when the fence is in its upright position. I've just checked mine and it also does this. Seems to be an odd choice on the part of RP. If I were you I'd try to widen that slot so it's the same thickness the whole length and then you could remove the fence in either direction or change its length depending on what suited the current operation.

I have PMed you about the nuts as well.

I have the same bandsaw fence was a pain in the butt so got rid and went for the kreg bandsaw fence
problems sorted

My thanks to Sleepy for providing me with a new set of nuts, proving there are still some decent forum members on here.

Lonsdale73":20vrc7u4 said:
My thanks to Sleepy for providing me with a new set of nuts, proving there are still some decent forum members on here.

There has got to be a joke in there somewhere. LOL

MikeJhn":2fxwyvap said:
Lonsdale73":2fxwyvap said:

There has got to be a joke in there somewhere. LOL

My original comment was along the lines "Thanks to Sleepy for sorting me out with a new pair" but I'm sure someone, somewhere would have taken exception to that!

Sort of related, I think it was you who posted a link to a Magswitch fence which reminded me I bought a Magswitch universal base in anticipation of receiving my new table saw only to find its 'cast' top was a not remotely magnetic aluminium one rather than iron so they Maggies had been languishing unused in a drawer somewhere. I ordered one of the fences - aren't they great? It hasn't been near the bandsaw yet as my mind has been turning over other possible uses for it.

Nope wasn't me, I bought an Axminster de-luxe fence and fitted that, there is a thread here somewhere.

Back