Record Power 1kW bag dust extractor tripping RCD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have the older blue Record dust extractor that has been in storage in my dry garage. I now have a planer/thicknesser so I was going to use it with this but when I use it after about 7-10 minutes it trips the RCD. I’ve had the cover off and it looks ok with no smell of any burning or obvious damage to cables.
I did ring Record and they want £100 for a new motor. There’s an earth leak somewhere that must happen when the motor warms up but I am stumped.
Anyone have any clues or experienced this fault. I don’t like throwing stuff and wish to fix it rather than buy a new one. This is a pic off the internet of the type I own.
ZmJmYjhiYWZiNWQ4N2QyMTA1MDE0NGUzNTVjMjU5Y2XBPgcZdpIHuKSO_rWPFeZOaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMTNkMmY1MWJhMWFjOGNlOTA4ZjAyNWFiODFhMWVhY2ZjNGVjYzZlZDhlY2E5NmM4ZDI5ZWY4ZDc3YWE0NjMwZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Most likely cause is a breakdown in the insulation between the motor windings to earth. I would test the insulation resistance to ground but it requires a special tester (often called a Megger test). Testing resistance with a normal multimeter isn't enough. You need to 'pressure test' with 500VDC really. An electrician or motor rewind shop will have the right gear to do this.
If it is bad then it will mean investigation and a possible rewind in which case a new motor is probably a better option.

Worth also checking its not something simple external to the motor. The fact it runs for a number of minutes would indicate the motor to me but other components fail under heat. Capacitors are a common failure (depends on motor type) so rule out any other things as well.

From your picture.....You have a large motor on a 4" pipe stuffed into a 1 " pipe. That will cause significant drag on the motor, which will over heat. That MIGHT be your problem.

Also, you appear to be using it from an extension lead. Is it a reel? if so, you should unwind ALL of the cable on the reel before using the machine. The windings of the cable on the reel act as a magnetic force and very quickly overheats the cable.

Bob it seem counter intuitive but when you cut off airflow to a vacuum/DC the motor has less work to do because it isn't moving air and the amperage draw drops. It sounds like it is working harder but the air inside is just spinning around making more noise. Now if the Record also uses the airflow for cooling the motor will overheat and that could be the reason the thing is getting hot under the collar and wants a break. So you are on the right track but for the wrong reason. What I would do is take the little hose off and run it with the 4" only and see if it still quits. If it doesn't just stick the little hose in the opening of the 4" without the adapter and it shouldn't get hot and quit. If it still quits with the 4" only there are bigger problems with it above my pay grade.

Pete

If the machine is quite old, it could just be carbon brush dust tracking from the holder to the metalwork of the motor. Carefully strip is down and clean all black deposits off in the area of the brushes, brush guides and the body of the motor.
Might just save it from the bin.

Back