Record Plough Plane 043 plating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelemon

Reaction score
Hi guys! I search the web for information but with no success. I bought small plough plane from ebay and then read about cadmium plated ones. I will attach some pictures from the seller. Can you please help me to identify the plating on this plane. Thank you!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 609
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 609
I don't think anyone could tell old nickel from old cadmium just from photos, especially when the colours are so different anyway.

And even though Cadmium is toxic, occasionally touching it won't kill you, in my opinion. (I've used plated planes without knowing what the plating was and I'm still alive. :) )

I guess if you are worried you could apply a couple of coats of shellac or boiled linseed oil.

I am not concerned about toxicity. More about how to clean it.
One thing I found. The inscription "made in england" on some planes is more on the left side and they have the same tint like mine. I also found three types of boxes. Pls. see attachments! Think that mine is sell it with the second box. On the box does not mention the type of plating anywhere. On other two, one is rustless and other nickel plated. If someone knew how is plated the plane in white box with light blue logo thats will do the job. If this help in any way (homer)

Attachments

• 100_0325_large.jpg
    100_0325_large.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 565
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 565
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 566
All I can offer is that the sort of packaging in your second photo, white card with black and blue print, was in use in the 70s - 90s when I bought other Record tools new. I'd be surprised if the plating wasn't nickel.

As to cleaning up yours, I'd try a glass fibre brush or a medium Garryflex block.

But really, it looks fine, you could use it just as it is. A wipe with an oily rag if you like.

bluelemon":21q7v73v said:
If someone knew how is plated the plane in white box with light blue logo thats will do the job.
That'll be chrome. Nickel had long ceased being used by the time of that packaging style.

In terms of cleaning, you might be surprised just how effective scrubbing with an old toothbrush and warm soapy water can be. Just make sure to dry well after and then oil or wax any bare-metal surfaces.

Those little 043s were in production from the mid-30s up to the late 70s and varied little in their shapes other than the composition of the plating.

It's worth remembering that there were production limits in place during the war years and for a post-war period, I think into the early 50s, where there were restrictions on the use of nickel which affected many tool-makers. Try some research on the statutes in the UK on so-called "War-Finish regulations" which limited the use of nickel plating.

Hence some bodies are dull-coloured, others, made later, have a shiny chrome finish.

They will accept all the 1/8" thick blades made by any Plough-Plane manufacturer (up to a reasonable width), even though they were supplied with only 3 as standard.

Argus":1zbtxjgu said:
Those little 043s were in production from the mid-30s up to the late 70s and varied little in their shapes other than the composition of the plating...
...and the shape of the thumbscrews.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":1a7i86bk said:
Argus":1a7i86bk said:
Those little 043s were in production from the mid-30s up to the late 70s and varied little in their shapes other than the composition of the plating...
...and the shape of the thumbscrews.

Cheers, Vann.

Yes.... I preferred the wing-nuts.

Hi again! I upload hi res pictures of the plane. It's look like with some yellowish tint that can be dirt or patina or I dont know what. Will clean it later with soap water. If I am right cadmium has to be dull gray more like lead. For pictures click the link.
Record 043
I found this description abouth chrome and nickel platings - "In terms of appearance, chrome plating provides a shiny and smooth exterior, while nickel plating creates a glossier surface with a yellowish hue."

Best to avoid anything with water...... de-grease with a spirit base, white spirit or the like, then use a metal cleaner.... tooth brushes etc in the nooks and crannies, then a little oil all over. Result? A good little plough.

The important thing with these little 043s is that they come complete with the depth-stop and the blade-clamp, which being loose, is often lost.

If you are not restrained by space under the fence, they have a more positive action with a wooden fence screwed to the metal one.

It comes with only three narrow blades, but If you have other Stanley/Record type ploughs with a 1/8 inch thick blade, typically up to a practical limit of about 1/2 to 5/8 inch wide can be used - you'll find the limit when they get hard to push, depending on your strength and the wood hardness.

Spare blades are available, unfortunately new, modern ones have a rectangular cross section, so tend to get a bit rigid in deep grooves.

Good luck.

For closing the case I give the plane for refinish. Guys that do the plating told me that original finish is very old nickel. I think that now its ready to rock! (hammer)

Attachments

• 87983753_1338323156556004_8601749020534112256_n.jpg
    87983753_1338323156556004_8601749020534112256_n.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 231
Very nice looking plane. If the original plate was in fact Nickel, then the plane was made after the 'War Finish Regulations' that governed the use of metals were repealed, probably early '50s. (Sorry about the historical bits and the pun - it's a grey-area in dating these planes). Sometime in the mid 50s, Record changed the wing-head screws for the round serrated ones shown here.

Occasionally, the second-hand market throws up a plane that is complete with its box and in the days when manufacturers were allowed to set the retail prices, the boxes occasionally had the retailer's prices, pounds, shillings and pence in pencil.

If it's not an indelicate question, how may I put it....... could one afford the plating process?

Thanks! I think it's very acceptable. I pay 6$ for it. :deer Maybe you have to look for a small plating company. They do single details. Regards!

Argus":2528unnc said:
Very nice looking plane. If the original plate was in fact Nickel, then the plane was made after the 'War Finish Regulations' that governed the use of metals were repealed, probably early '50s. (Sorry about the historical bits and the pun - it's a grey-area in dating these planes). Sometime in the mid 50s, Record changed the wing-head screws for the round serrated ones shown here.

Occasionally, the second-hand market throws up a plane that is complete with its box and in the days when manufacturers were allowed to set the retail prices, the boxes occasionally had the retailer's prices, pounds, shillings and pence in pencil.

If it's not an indelicate question, how may I put it....... could one afford the plating process?

Here in the 'states, nickel plating is very expensive (speaking from experience, as a manufacturer), especially for non-batch plating. I would hesitate to wager a guess, other than I would guess very dear, unless the owner was friends with the platers, and the job was a "government job". Also, the job on this plane, from the photo, is quite nicely done!

Back