Record player cabinet - advice on strength/build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayno

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm going to attempt to make my version of the attached image for a friend and have a few questions please regarding strength.
I'm making the unit out of 18mm Birch veneered ply, joints will be domino supported butt joints ( because I have access to a domino but not a biscuit or doweller ) Each side and the 2 mid verticals will have 4 dominos per length and the shelf will just be 6 x pocket holes underneath as its only holding an amp. They want it open backed but there will be some small struts, a couple pf cm high, that run the length of the record storage sections to act as a backstop for the LP's so that may reduce any risk of racking ? Legs will be hairpin legs.
Without an apron under the unit and having an open back will there be long term issues ? I'm hoping not as you see these types of units all over the internet :) but I'm hoping those with more knowledge than me can put me right ! Thanks

mediaUnit.jpg

I’d expect that to be pretty stiff if it’s the size in your picture and it doesn’t get used for something heavy on top

Aidan

Depends if they are into HIFI or not. A hifi record deck requires very heavy sound deadening (some even have concrete plinths) which will affect the weight placed on the unit. If its a standard "stereo" deck, its fine.
But I would strongly suggest you dont lean LP's like that, they will warp and become unplayable.

Depends if they are into HIFI or not. A hifi record deck requires very heavy sound deadening (some even have concrete plinths) which will affect the weight placed on the unit. If its a standard "stereo" deck, its fine.
But I would strongly suggest you dont lean LP's like that, they will warp and become unplayable.
Thank you SunnyBob - they are not real audio buffs, so just a general record deck. Thanks for the advice on not leaning the LP's - cheers

ply should be strong enough, but records are surprisingly heavy, to increase strength just use thicker stock, I would be tempted to use poplar ply as a cheaper alternative to birch.

Latest posts

Back