Record planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetlh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, does anyone own or have any comments on the Record PT260-X planer thicknesser? I have had a few record products over the years and all have been excellent but have heard some bad reviews lately? This one seems a very good price considering it has steel tables etc, any comments would be greatly appreciated

I have one. Not particularly impressed!

It's 2 or 3 years old now. What does the "X" mean? The tables on mine are teflon coated ally (coated in a sawmill by the looks of it!)

I bougth one a short while ago after much deliberation. Considered the Axminster - same price but probably a bit too heavy for my small workshop. 5yr warrantee from RP won me over. Its pretty good - imho - but the fence is not so good - follow this link

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

Overall I'm really pleased with it - I set the fence and leave it. Thicknesser beds are cast iron. Get the wheel kit and bargain with the dealer to get this for free - including delivery.

Anyway - had a long communication with Record Power - answered directly by Andrew Greenstead - MD of RP. He acknowledged problems with the fence and has stated that an upgrade will be available soon (months not weeks) - and that would be a reduced price (heavy discount) upgrade if required for existing usrs.

Andrew gave me a potted history of the company since the management buyout, their ethos and beliefs and shared some of visions - all very interesting and demonstrated a genuine concern for product quality and user satisfaction. He welcomed feedback - both good and bad...

Could I suggest you try before you buy? Call RPand find out a dealer whos got one near you.

Good luck

I've had the RP PT 260 for about 5 years now and have to say that it has done everything I've asked of it, good sturdy machine.

I have the Chinese made (Blue) RPT260 Planer/Thicknesser, which is of course the cheaper/older version, but got to say I hav'nt had any problems with it. Even the fence is fine - I always check it for square anyway before use.

Stephen

Thanks for your help everyone, so it seems it is a good reliable machine that does what you want it to but the fence is pretty shocking? I saw one in our local dealer last week and noticed the aluminium extrusion fence and thought exacly what you have said. I am used to it tho as i have the perform CCJ surfacer and i it has the same problem. It has been a good machine really apart from the fact its not up to the work that i need to use it for anymore. Will have another look tomorrow and ponder...

OK i bought it this morning, spent all day setting it up.... well cleaning out the workshop and moving benches etc took most of the day!!! I found it a bit fiddly to set up and get the tables true but when i did and switched it on all went very well. Im very pleased with it, you seem to get a hell of a lot for the money! Only snags i found so far are you have to screw the extractor cowling to the machine when thicknessing and when adjusting the infeed table there is a bit of sideways play but im sure i can rectify that tomorrow. As for the fence and things, its no more than i expect from a £500 planer, its workable thats the main thing. Well tomorrow will be the test anyway as I have 5 cube of ash to plane up for a table. Lets hope it all works fine.

Ive not got that planer but i make my own fence up for most of the machines i buy . A nice bit of oak bolted to the supplied fence keeps everything in true , but still check for square .

Back