• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Record plane handle and knob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

CaseyR

Reaction score
Hi all, long time viewer but thought I'd join and reach out for advice with my current quest, I have looked through the site and not found anything to help(please link if it out there and my apologies).

I am trying to get a factory finish on some record plane handles that have a burgundy kind of color (link below), I am currently experimenting with Liberon water based concentrated dye's to no avail, and what I presume the finish to be blonde shellac (mixed from crystals), as I use garnet shellac with the stanley ones and get lovely results

My query is, does the color come from the stain or the finish or a combination of the two, because I'm 3 coats in to my test pieces (link below) and feel I no where near. The original has a shine and a luster that I would have to do poly coat to achieve but looks like just the final coat gives the finish (looks like dipped possibly). Am I on the wright track and is it some technique I missing, here to learn, Thank you.

Any thought or advice would be appreciated or if any member in my ballpark would appreciate the introduction, thanks again.

Kind Regards
Richard.

Attachments

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Hi there's some info here
post1103943.html?hilit=mahogany%20dark%20oak%20stain#p1103943
that may help about half way down.
I'd actually (now) tend to try more like 70-30 mahogany -dark oak to get it redder. Not perfect but they come up ok and if you really want to colour match, experiment from there.
(Tru-oil is great for handles (for me) because if its warm enough you can get a lot of coats on very quickly and easily. Whatever you have to hand will probably do really.)
Cheers
Chris

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I recall paul sellers saying that you can use leather dye and mix it in with blonde shellac, I haven't done this myself so wouldn't know what the correct ratios are, all I've ever used is de-waxed blonde shellac on plane totes and handles, I tried wax over it but prefer it as just shellac then once cured rub it slightly with 0000 steel wool, feels amazing in the hand.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
You might try a few coats of this stuff and finish with a light coat of Alfie Shine after the oil has cured (at least two weeks) and leave the wax in addition for three or four days before final buffing - Rob

CaseyR

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the replies, but I have been experimenting over the last few day and got a result I am happy with, so thought I'd pass on my results to the community.I managed to keep top original and match rest close enough. (file attached).

I used van dyke crystals and Liberon dye, mixed 50ml vdc + 2 ml red, and finished with 4 coats of blonde shellac.

Thanks again for replies.

Attachments

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
That looks perfect!
Good result!
Bit ashamed I replied now lol.