Record or Stanley planes used prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking at eBay for prices of used No 4 planes - so many out there but Ive noticed that a regular Stanley always seem to attract a better price than a Record for the same sort of age and condition. Any idea why?

Because the market wills it...

All I can think is a lot of websites regarding vintage planes (and woodworking generally) are from the US, where Record isn't really known (I believe, or certainly not to the degree it is here). Hence you have lots of American gurus/sites saying "buy a vintage Stanley" and people (presumably) not bidding on a Record because they've never heard of it or only been exposed to the modern rubbish and assuming it's (erroneously) second-rate.

Doesn't really matter though, I've personally found the prices for both to be more-or-less the same on Ebay over the past year or so, and both stupidly high. I can buy fully refurbished ones for less than what some of these lucky dip specials are going for...

Last edited:
Ive been looking at eBay for prices of used No 4 planes - so many out there but Ive noticed that a regular Stanley always seem to attract a better price than a Record for the same sort of age and condition. Any idea why?
Because few people collect Record stuff - loads of people collect Stanley, possibly because there's a much greater range both of tools and ages.

Are Stanley product variants better-documented than Record? If you have a Stanley plane is it easier to identify year of manufacturer etc than for an equivelant Record? I don't know, just asking.

I have bought old planes made by companies I know nothing about, but they are just copies of Stanly planes and in use they are basically indistinguishable from Stanleys. I don't care too much about the brand, I just consider the condition.

Actually, record is well regarded, but maybe not enough beginners know much about it. When record was still being sold new and the planes really didn't match the older records, people were still buying them here at a much higher price than a used stanley.

There aren't that many record planes on the ground here in the states, and ebay's seizing of anything with brown wood through the GSP probably hurts their ability to be bought here (that and for a long time, you could get a good stanley 4 or 5 for $40, which made paying $40 just for shipping from England not so great).

Back