Record / Nova DVR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
I had been thinking of treating myself to a new lathe for a while and in the short list was a nova DVR, now I notice the record seems to have taken over doing them dose anyone know if they are still to the same standard or has Record done some "value engineering" on the DVR?

Cheers
Simon

I saw one of the Record ones being demo-ed at Yandles recently, and it seemed to be the business. Loads of power and almost completely silent in operation.

Best bet would be to try and fine somewhere near you were you can try one out.

Regards

Gary

srs":ft2mekys said:
I had been thinking of treating myself to a new lathe for a while and in the short list was a nova DVR, now I notice the record seems to have taken over doing them dose anyone know if they are still to the same standard or has Record done some "value engineering" on the DVR?

Cheers
Simon

Hi . A mate of mine has a DVR , He is in Rainham Essex , and would let you have a go / look if you can come down ?

Allen

I might be wrong but my understanding is tht Record have taken over the distribution, not the manufacturing of the lathe. If this is the case there shouldn't be any difference.

Pete

I think Pete is right - I believe the lathes are still made in New Zealand - they used to be distributed by Sorby, but now Record have them.

Drop Record Power an email and ask the question - they normally respond fairly quickly - address is on their site.

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner wrote
It would appear I was wrong in my assertion that they are still made in New Zealand - from reading the above post it appears that they are now made in China.
Yes this is what i was told when i was looking.
I also looked at the one at Yandles and it did look a good machine.Though i'm glad i went for the Hegner. :D
Paul.J.

It's a pity about this badging of machines, Record used to have a great name for machine tools, but I don't think they make anything of their own anymore. I think all their stuff is badged these days. Now Technatool is going the same way and allowing Record to badge their lathe design.

I just wonder how the quality of the new lathes will stand up against the original ones.

All Record have done is add the name to the machine, The reason why is because Record have committed to bringing a lot more of the Teknatool range into the UK. The have a lot of Nova accessories previously unavailable and possible products for the future. Record have taken on the distributorship in The UK the lathe manufacture is the same as it has been since the DVR-XP was introduced with the new casting shape. As to their other machines I think they have improved quality and reliability each year. don't forget that the Record Power company that exists today is a result of a management buy out by the directors who used to work in the Record Power brand when it was part of the American Tool company. The American Tools company was split up and manufacturing in Sheffield was stopped. The buy out had no manufacturing facilities just a name some stock and patterns to take over so all of their machines have had to be sourced and retooled where existing machines are remade such as the lathes. They still give a five year guarantee and very good service both as to retailers and end users

Back