Record no4 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Like Jim I've been putting a bit of time into refurbishing a few tools I got hold of end of last year. Just finished this Record no 4 1/2. It wasn't too bad to start with, but after a bit of work is ready to join the rest of my planes on the giant slope

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

Off to a car boot next Sunday, if the tool god smiles on that day, might get something nice and will let you all know.
Cheers
George.

Lurvley! I'm just working on a No 4 1/2 at the mo, not sure it'll end up that shiny though!

Very pretty plane indeed DM! And a sympathetic restoration indeed....nice one! =D>

In my work...the No.4 1/2 is a bit special...it is my most used Bailey...much more than my No.4

I do occasionally use my very old No.4....this one...

DSC_0681.JPG

...simply because of its glorious quaintness...oh..and a razor sharp iron! :mrgreen:

What else are you planning to fettle if the rain carries on George?

Jim

"What else are you planning to fettle if the rain carries on George?

Jim"

Well Jim, next is an older Stanley no 7, around the 1930's I think. But will date it exactly later, as I refurbish it. This time I'll remember to take some "before" photo's. :oops:
What a lovely old Stanley no4, must be around the turn of the century 1900 that is. Very envious ! :mrgreen:

Hi, Chaps

Be careful those 4 1/2's go around in packs, 3 have taken up residence in my tool cupboard.
A Stayset with rosewood handles a war finish record and a stanley with thick castings, but not a H model.

Pete

Racers":1o2hszm8 said:
Hi, Chaps

Be careful those 4 1/2's go around in packs, 3 have taken up residence in my tool cupboard.

Pete

Sounds a nasty infestation - would you like a volunteer to help clear them out? :lol:

Hi, Andy

Very kind of you, but I am afeard to open the door these days :shock:

Pete

That's a lovely shiney plane! 4 1/2's are my go-to smoothers, LNs for general donkey work, but recently older stuff too, this V&B started out like this
005-9.jpg

and ended up like this, just needs a new iron
011-3.jpg

I never really polish planes, but they do look good when it's done well. I'm with Jim though, for stuff that doesn't need the heft of a 4 1/2, a 1920's Stanley 4 is hard to beat
016.jpg

What treatment do you chaps use to clean up the light rusting on the sides? I've googled it and found suggestions of citric Acid solutions nut I don't know where I would get some from?

Any home remedies?

L2wis":1lz8dq3f said:
What treatment do you chaps use to clean up the light rusting on the sides? I've googled it and found suggestions of citric Acid solutions nut I don't know where I would get some from?

Any home remedies?

If it is just "dust" rust...get some Camellia Oil from Workshop Heaven and rub it with that. I bet it comes off and the oil will further protect your treasure with occasional use. It also does not affect wood finishes unlike other oils or WD40 and its clones

Cheers

Jim

Citric acid used to be available both from delis and from chemists. BUT, apparently it is used in the home manufacture of crystal meth, so now you may find it either unavailable, or at least get grilled as to why you want it, from retail sources.
Of course, it's freely available, in kilogram quantities, off the web.
Daft.
(For reasons I won't elaborate on, a £1 coin went through our woodburning stove, and when found in the ashes, looked a bit the worse for wear. But 5 minutes in citric acid plus a bit of scrubbing with brass brush and it's back to legal tender :D )

I've bought citric acid powder from my local home brew shop - but apparently they are as rare as video rental shops these days!

White vinegar,don't dilute, couple of hours if it's light rust, otherwise overnight. Or Evapo-Rust. Take it apart first.
But jimi43 has the right idea, I would use a coarse cloth, like burlap, and some kind of oil, or paste wax, and rub the rust off. Comes off easier than you think.

Toby

The complaints I hear about citric acid, and electrolysis, is that they leave the metal a dull gray, that will require about as much work to get rid of as the rust.

Toby

Back