Record No.52 1/2 B - Help Identifying

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRThomas

Reaction score
Morning everyone.

I've joined the forum looking for some advice on a vice I picked up last week.

I inherited an early Record 52 1/2 from my late grandfather recently and decided to restore it. Ive glassblasted it and am now about to paint it.

Last week, another 52 1/2 came up for sale locally for £10 so I bought it, thinking it'd be handy for parts if needed.

When I've come to look at it, its a 52 1/2 B.

I've been reading up on the 52 1/2 vices and can't find anything on the B version.

Is there anyone who can offer an insight? I'm just curious if anything to see what the differences are. The vice came as part of a bench so I'm going to take it out later this week.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Cheers for the quick reply Andy. I've had a good read through most of it and, whilst it's provided a lot of info and help, its not got anything I can see on the B model.

I've just had a look and it doesnt have the back jaw like my other one does. It uses the bench as the rear jaw. Its not had the jaw cut off as far as i can see and if they have, its a magnificent job.

Ill pop a couple of quick pictures up now and then more when I get it out of the bench.

Attachments

• 20200907_174640.jpg
    20200907_174640.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • 20200907_174647.jpg
    20200907_174647.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 112
I've just been to try and take it out of the bench and can see that oddly, there's no rear jaw at all. It looks like the same piece but without the lip.

Ill have to have half an hour taking it out for some better pictures but thats how it looks.

Unfortunately, the bench will need a bit of 'adjusting' to get out as its built in.

I've not heard of a B suffix on Record vices. It's a bit like my Record 83 metal working vice, which has a W cast on the side.

Nigel.

Perhaps the B designates that it uses the bench as the rear jaw? B might be for "Built in".

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I've done a lot of digging online and can't come up with much else.

When its off the bench, ill put a picture up. If its a rare one, ill glassblast and repaint this one too.

Cheers

it does look like a rarity DR, but I'm afraid I can't shed any light on it. As sploo says it was almost certainly made in the 20s/30s but I have no idea what the B would mean.

A surviving catalogue from 1935 identifies 'P' type vices (plain screw) and 'A' types (screw and nut cover) but no 'B'.

C&J Hampton (the manufacturer) was very busy trying to find new ways to protect this design in the 1930s so conceivably it indicates some hither-to unknown (and short lived) innovation created for this reason, but tbh I really am clutching at straws :)

There does not appear to be anything unusual about the vice - other than the face stamping - so it would be good to see a pic of the workings when you have them.

Either way you have got an excellent and unusual vice - a great find so thanks for sharing!

Not a problem. Thanks for the help. I'll upload some detailed pictures when its off.

I've got a couple lined up for restoration so I'll add this one to the list.

The first being my Grandfathers 52 1/2 and the second my Samsonia 37.

Roundel Blue paint for all three I think.

Afternoon everyone.

Sorry to pick up an old thread but wanted to reference the above so thought this would be the best way to do it.

A couple of weeks after my original post, my wife had our first nipper. I expected life to go on as normal. How wrong I was. I darent even start my motorcycle anymore through fear of waking the thing.

As a result, I'll probably never get round to restoring this one and it'll sit for an age in my garage.

Before I list it on ebay, is anyone interested?

I've not got a clue how much it's worth in all honesty. I removed it from the bench and have pictures from today if anyones interested.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Last edited:
Afternoon everyone.

Sorry to pick up an old thread but wanted to reference the above so thought this would be the best way to do it.

A couple of weeks after my original post, my wife had our first nipper. I expected life to go on as normal. How wrong I was. I darent even start my motorcycle anymore through fear of waking the thing.

As a result, I'll probably never get round to restoring this one and it'll sit for an age in my garage.

Before I list it on ebay, is anyone interested?

I've not got a clue how much it's worth in all honesty. I removed it from the bench and have pictures from today if anyones interested.

Thanks in advance, Dan.
So glad you have been thoughtful enough to let us have a heads up on this Dan.
Personally I think @nabs would be a suitable consideration for his future studies and on going reference source.
Also a shoutout to @Vono
Best wishes to you and your family.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Dan would really like to see the pictures please. Ian
Congratulations on your first by the way – no you won’t have any spare time for a little while now, good times coming though, just curious which bit of the UK are you in please.

Last edited:
Just noticed - mines a 52 1/2 B too. Bought new around 1980 I guess. Same number but different design of front plate, yours looks earlier somehow. Has covered screw, unlike later ones.
PS if it's in good nick you should get £30 to £60 for it.

Last edited:
Not a problem Andy. Id rather it go to someone on here who'll appreciate it.

I'm in Lincolnshire Ian, just east of Lincoln. Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently working on getting a sidecar outfit past the wife. Children love sidecars dont they?

I've included the pictures I took today. The only thing I can see missing are the two nuts for the bolts which hold it to the bench.

Attachments

• 20210111_132152.jpg
    20210111_132152.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210111_132157.jpg
    20210111_132157.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210111_132202.jpg
    20210111_132202.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210111_132207.jpg
    20210111_132207.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210111_132227.jpg
    20210111_132227.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 71
Very interesting Dan.
I've never seen this style before.
It looks like the rear jaw is lower than the front jaw so it is able to be mounted BLIND behind the apron of the bench.
Cheers Andy

It is Andy, I've never seen one like it.

It's actually missing the rear jaw, leaving the bench as the rear. I thought it may have been cut off but having taken it out of the bench, you can see that's not the case.

I thought that the B might denote the bench requirement of the vice.

I hadn't noticed the missing jaw! Mine has a rear jaw so the "B" may be nothing to do with it

I can guarantee that your children will love a sidecar, if dad says sidecars are good that’s all there is to it!
Crikey you’re only about 20 miles away from me. Caistor.
Well I’ve never seen one like that before, certainly easier to fit. Yours is pre-1980 by quite a stretch I think . The shape of the sticky out bit where the handle goes through is quite an old design from memory it changed just after the war but don’t hold me to that. Ian

Back