Record Maxi 1 or Axminster 1628vs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxamace

Reaction score
Looking into upgrading from my fixed head lathe. Torn between these 2 lathes. Like the specification of the Maxi 1 and the outboard bowl turning. I believe the Axminster to be of a better quality, outboard turning isn't good for me because of the room required.
What do you think, reviews and comments would be welcome concerning these 2 machines or any other recommendations. Thank you in anticipation.

As an owner of a 1628VS I have nothing against it apart from it now being over priced.
I consider the Maxi 1 with the M33 thread, which is a step up from the 1628VS, to be the best value machine in the mid size range.

I have not used either the Maxi or the 1628 in anger but when I was looking for a new lathe I noted the following:
- The Maxi has better overall construction than the 1628, and is nicely finished.
- The Maxi is more lathe for your money (esp at current 2017 prices): greater swing and between-centres, more weight. It is closer to the new Axi 2030VS in spec than it is to the 1628.
- The Maxi has 6 pulley ratios: 50 - 380; 70 -530; 120 -900; 200 - 1450; 350 - 2750; 460 - 3850 rpm. Depending on how often and how widely you vary speed, this could be a right pain, almost negating the advantages of electronic variable speed.
- There is no speed indication on the Maxi. Only you can decide if this matters to you.
- Owners of both lathes are equally complimentary about them.

Happy shopping!
Duncan

I own a Maxi one and we have a couple of 1628. machines at my club. I much prefer the Maxi, it is a simple basic machine built to a good standard and has, so far been trouble free. The 1628 machines have had a few build quality issues which have been sorted by Axminster. The middle speed range covers most requirements although I have changed ratios a few times in two years of ownership. It is a simple straightforward procedure.

Thank you guy's for the above comments, very interesting points. It seems to me the best value for money is the Maxi 1.I must admit I do like the out board bowl turning attachment being at right angles to the bed..
I did look at the Graduate lathe, although very nice I'm after the M33 spindle thread.
Once again thank you guys and happy turning.

I'm looking at these two as well but also the Simon hope lathes. The stratos 230 he sells looks great ! It may be worth a look.

wow that looks a fair bit of kit frogs, thanks for bringing it to attention, looks a step up from the Axi

That's what I thought. I've had a play with the maxi 1 and that was great but I'm not sure about the casting precision? I was speaking to Simon about his lathes at the yandles event. He said there is another cheaper version coming soon. It will be in the U.K. In January. Personally I'm pretty sold on the 230 stratos because I don't want to keep on having to upgrade. Looking at the 230 it appears to be a very tidy bit of kit. I want one big out lay and then just enjoy it without the thought of another future upgrade. I will keep an eye on this post and see what others think.

Fire_frogs":1cix1kml said:
. I want one big out lay and then just enjoy it without the thought of another future upgrade. I will keep an eye on this post and see what others think.

If that's what you want then, subject to a definition of 'big' in context, maybe get in touch with Phil Irons as well? I'd be surprised if you weren't impressed by Robust's 'American Beauty' lathe!

I love the robust lathes they are pretty much perfect for what I want. It's just the price ! Who wouldn't be impressed by them though! Unfortunately they are out of my league price wise.

Just been looking at the Killinger 1450 from Toolpost, looks a very nice piece of kit. Anyone had experience of this lathe. Any comments welcome. Happy turning.

Maxamace":2jit8lkn said:
Just been looking at the Killinger 1450 from Toolpost, looks a very nice piece of kit. Anyone had experience of this lathe. Any comments welcome. Happy turning.

I had a look when I was there recently. Bit of a curates egg really. Liked some of the spec and finish but other stuff, mainly the big plastic belt guard looked naff and I could see getting broken easily which was a shame.

Back