Record Marples M148 guide bushes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know it's a longshot, but does anyone have any idea if I can buy replacement guide bushes from somewhere for the Record Marples M 148 dowel jig ? Or if not where I can get some turned, I need 6mm, 8mm and 10mm. Cheers all, keep safe

Hi all, I know it's a longshot, but does anyone have any idea if I can buy replacement guide bushes from somewhere for the Record Marples M 148 dowel jig ? Or if not where I can get some turned, I need 6mm, 8mm and 10mm. Cheers all, keep safe
Might have one or two going spare. Will have a look.

Hi 148 followers

just used this magic jig for first time in years and it is time to Metricate it. Did anyone commission replacement metric bushes for the carriers? The originals are a bit rough but work - they appear hardened so opening out an Imperial one is a no-no. Help appreciated. Phil

I am looking at proprietary hardened drill bushes for 6mm, 8mm and 10mm drills. Might be able to commission hardened steel bushes or alterantively I have a small metal-working lathe and could do brass or ABS ones with a tube hardened insert. Has anyone tried anything like this

I think the 148 is so good I have acquired another 2. Now heading to Carbide Reamers and drills to make the bushes Metric - 8mm and 10mm. I will probably make the guide rods 10mm Silver Steel and ream out all the holes while I am at it. Improved 148 with a good future life.

I am looking at proprietary hardened drill bushes for 6mm, 8mm and 10mm drills. Might be able to commission hardened steel bushes or alterantively I have a small metal-working lathe and could do brass or ABS ones with a tube hardened insert. Has anyone tried anything like this
If you have a lathe then why not make them in some higher carbon steel and harden them yourself.

This thread is two years old, thanks to all who contributed. I didnt manage to get any bushes, I sorted out some old imperial drills and used thoseand made my own dowels

Johnwa - the 5/16" drill guides take an 8mm drill as sliding fit. That's one size sorted. If you want some 10mm bore bushes I will be getting a small batch next month via a small engineering shop. They will be bored out from 3/8" guides so the surface hardness in the bore will be degraded.

I liked the 'make them yourself' idea - my lathe is a Unimat 3 so working close to capacity but may attempt a trial guide.

Back