Record lathe problem - "low voltage" HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simocco

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

55178 DVR Intelligent Drive Variable Speed Lathe. I am getting an error message saying Low Voltage and sometimes a message saying Hardware Fault. Can any one explain this and offer a solution.

Thanks

John

O Dear :(

not good news , I put my Nova DVR in the bin after tolerating Record power for 3 weeks and getting nowhere

All they kept doing was emailing Teknatool Canada with my questions

My lathe was under 5 years old so GREAT they have a 5 year guarantee , until you phone and are told " NOT ON ANYTHING ELECTRICAL " only the cast iron :twisted:

Record powers advice was for me to buy a reconditioned head unit at over £1000

I wish you luck

Hi don't chuck it i had a problem with my dvr, Record power are useless and teknatool take day's to answer emails. If it has not already gone let me know there may be a solution.

Mine is fine now without any help from either of them.

Regards

Berns

Thanks for this. I have not ditched it so any help gratefully received
John
in Ireland

Hi John

First thing to try, unplug lathe from power supply and leave it for 2 minutes for power to drain from machine this is important.

Second step remove the red backing plate from headstock four small cap screws.

Third step plug back into mains and switch on (DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE BACK) now you need you workshop as dark as possible for this look in the back to the far right hand corner, you should see a tiny neon light on. This is your mother board test light if the light is on then your mother board is ok if not then we can go no further, if there is a light on un plug leave for two more minutes and go to next step.

Fourth step if you have an airline put the nozzle in the two vents located under the spindle on the head stock and give it a real good blow through. If you don't have an airline use a vac and get as far inside as you can being careful not to damage any parts, the airline method is better when you are happy that you have got it as dust free as passable replace back plate, don't power back up yet.

Step five remove the digital read out box on the front four phillips screws and blow or suck the dust out of that, you will see a ribbon connection push both ends to make sure they are tight as they can work loose, replace cover power back up and hopefully you should be away again.

I can not guarantee that this is a cure but it worked for me, and i did not have to spend the £600 that record were wanting off me to fix it. Mine had stopped working altogether and having been messed about for 5 weeks by both record power and teknatool, i finally spoke to a man who did know what he was talking about he does not work for either of these two companies.

He also asked me not to reveal his name and the fact that we had a conversation about this product something to do with the relationship between the company he works for and recordpower, should this not work for you i will contact him and ask him if i can pm you his name and contact details.

Good luck
Regards
Berns

Berns - Big thanks for your time and advice - John is my Dad and the lathe is his - i think he has had it just over a year. ill pass this onto him and let you know how it goes.

simoco, you say your Dad has had the lathe for just over a year, did he buy new because this should be coverered under the warranty. I know there has been a lot of discussion on this subject but I contacted Record last month to be told that the electrics are covered under their five year warranty so perhaps things have changed since Blisters unfortunate experience.

Steve

Surely under EU regulations electrics should be covered for 2 yrs regardless of what it says on the tin.

Don't think the likes of Aldi or Lidl would give you your money back so readily if it was worth the hassle of trying to say otherwise.

But I believe the UK Sale of Goods Act already offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer’s guarantee has run out and says that goods must last a “reasonable time” – which can be claimed anything up to 6 years from the date of purchase dependant upon normal expectations for the equipment or device.

A piece of equipment that is made specifically to work in a dusty environment that needs its internals and sensors cleaned out from dust contamination at regular intervals or fails to function correctly in just over a year would appear not to be in compliance with the above "reasonable time" .

The control box on my Hegner lathe,which is the most expenensive part,was only covered for twelve months,which was made very clear to me when i was having problems with it,which did sort of put me off it.But Hegner was very good about it all at the time,and in the end i did get a full refund on the lathe and all the extras i had bought for it,as it was still under the twelve months warranty.I dread to think what would have happened if my problems had occurred out of warranty???

SORTED -

"Called into Raits this morning. Got a very helpful response. They immediately said that the machine has a five year warranty - Record are sending me a complete new mother board kit as well as another board. The guy let slip that the lathe came from a school and was in constant use. Previously he siad it had been a display model and was just use in exhibtions and shows. You can let the group know that I got a good response from RECORD"

Many thanks for all your help

phil.p":3198jte2 said:
:D =D> =D> =D>
A school with a lathe in use? I find that hard to believe!

Hiya,

All the local school's have fully quipped woodwork rooms, the one where i do night classes ( turning ) has at least 12 lathes in the room. Thats a secondary school.

In in Dublin though,

simocco":3cplqsuk said:
SORTED -

"Called into Raits this morning. Got a very helpful response. They immediately said that the machine has a five year warranty - Record are sending me a complete new mother board kit as well as another board. The guy let slip that the lathe came from a school and was in constant use. Previously he siad it had been a display model and was just use in exhibtions and shows. You can let the group know that I got a good response from RECORD"

Many thanks for all your help

Stan is the Man !

Latest posts

Back