Record lathe cl1 36x15

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rong

Reaction score
Hi all, I have inherited a record lathe cl1, very old but hopefully in working order if only I could fine out how to put it together.
The piece I am struggling with is the motorhousing. I cant seem to get it attatched to the bars.
I would appreciate any help and suggestions please.

Assuming the design is the same as mine (CL3), there are four major pieces you need - the motor, attached to its mounting plate; the pulley housing (headstock); the headstock saddle that sits on the bars; and the clamp.

Be careful not to mix up the clamp with the clamps for fixing the rails.

If you've got all those pieces, and the bits to screw them all together, then what I would do is get the saddle on first, then the headstock *without* the motor, and then get the clamp on and tightened up before you add the motor.

If the motor and headstock are already attached and you don't want to take them to bits, you'll have a much easier time with a partner to help mount the headstock. It can just about be done by one person but it's a heavy job.

Last tip - if you need to dismantle the pulleys, be aware they are held on by two grub screws, one on top of the other.

I also have a Record CL 36x15 and i am a first timer to this. However i dont have a chuck. The headstock has a mounting plate. Anybody know what i need to get started and where i could get the kit?

TamneyGer":1btoi2c2 said:
I also have a Record CL 36x15 and i am a first timer to this. However i dont have a chuck. The headstock has a mounting plate. Anybody know what i need to get started and where i could get the kit?

The mounting plate you mention is more commonly called a face plate. If you look at the centre of the faceplate you will see it is mounted on a threaded spindle. Unscrew the faceplate by holding the spindle steady with a spanner (it has flats on it for that purpose). The spindle thread revealed on those lathes is 3/4" x 16tpi. You will need to purchase a chuck with that thread and it will simply screw onto the spindle. Chucks are available from Axminster Tools, Yandles, Toolpost, Stiles and Bates and many more suppliers - google woodturning chuck. The most common chucks in use in the UK are from Axminster and Record Power but there are several more makes available. Some chucks have threaded inserts which make it easier to re-use them if you purchase another lathe with a different spindle thread.

Youtube has lots of good videos with introductions to buying and using woodturning chucks. As well as sourcing your chuck you will need to consider what jaws you will be fitting - large ones for big bowls, small ones for pens etc., etc.

Just to add - a chuck isn't an essential purchase, though definitely nice to have. If you want to be cautious with finances, you can do most things with a faceplate, and a drive centre and live centre.

Latest posts

Back