Record lathe belt jumping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
I need some advice on my lathe
Picked up a record dml36 that is 17 years old.
It's worked well for a few weeks, however now the belt jumps off the pulley attached to the motor.

Is this a sign I need to replace the belt or something more severe?

Does the belt look damaged or heavily worn? If so, replace it.
Are the pulleys aligned correctly? If no, the grubscrews may have worked loose - reposition the pulley and retighten the grubscrews.
Is the belt adequately tensioned? If it appears loose, adjust the motor position to tension the belt.

If Paul’s checks are all OK also check that the shafts are parallel to each other and if you have a dial gauge check for runout. Also check for play in the bearings.

Thanks for the advice, I will take a look later.
The belt had some wear but I didn't think it was enough to make it jump. A new ones on order just in case

Success!!
The pulleys were out of alignment, one of the bottom grub screws was loose and I suspect the pulley has moved.
All working now. Tested on a bowl blank

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20210803_192825.mp4
    17.5 MB
those grub screws are a once a year check or use the pink Locktite/222 (treble 2) product on them.....
then they will never come loose except with an Allen wrench...

Thanks for the advice, I will take a look later.
The belt had some wear but I didn't think it was enough to make it jump. A new ones on order just in case
Hi Ben can you tell me where you got your new belt from..?
Mime is on the way out.
Thanks...

Back