Record DX5000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippyjoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on the above extractor please.

Has anyone got the Record DX5000,or had the use of one if so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Mark.

I replaced my Camvac with the DX5000 as it could not cope with my planer/thicknesser.
The DX is very powerful especially with both motors running.
I tend to use just the one when vacuuming up stuff and with hand held tools.
The bag has a tendency to suck up but I use two which prevents splits.
A bit noisy but works well - had it for over a year with no problems.
Easy to change bags and cleaning the filters.
Good value for the money.

Rod

Harbo":takpcoaa said:
I replaced my Camvac with the DX5000 as it could not cope with my planer/thicknesser.

Rod
Rod - which Camvac did you have? I had a close look at the big Camvac (about £320) at Yandles with the twin motors (100mm port) and it had plenty of suck..I was quite impressed. I wonder if the Record has more? - Rob

Rob - I should have perhaps clarified which Camvac I had - it was the small wall mounted one with the 2.5" inlet. It could not cope with the shavings from my P/T.
Camvacs are great extractors and very reliable - when I bought mine the Record was on special offer and much cheaper than the corresponding Camvac.

Rod

Harbo":3vr8xwwr said:
Rob - I should have perhaps clarified which Camvac I had - it was the small wall mounted one with the 2.5" inlet. It could not cope with the shavings from my P/T.
Camvacs are great extractors and very reliable - when I bought mine the Record was on special offer and much cheaper than the corresponding Camvac.

Rod
Rod - yes, I saw that one as well. The guy said is would be OK for a general extraction system but probably not very good for a p/t. I like the idea though that there's a small 'footprint' in the 'shop compared to a two bag extractor. I was very impressed as well with the build quality so may well use the two motor version in my extraction system later on. I wonder though if you could use the twin motor one together with a 2hp table saw or bandsaw on a 13A ring main as in my 'shop?..overload? - Rob

I doubt the ring main will be 13amps. They're usually 32amp with 13amp sockets. If so it will be fine.

Harbo,

thanks for that. Need to buy something along the lines of the Record, need something with a lot of "suck" and wall mounted so that seems to fit the bill.

Mark.

The DX5000 has more suck than Hugh Grant ever got an LA back alley.

The point noted on bag popping is very true, double bagging is useful. I am sure the more ingenious person could mount in a hardplastic container.

I think you can get a lower micron filter kit off Records website too for the evils of MDF.

I have the DX4000, which is basically the same extractor but fitted to a drum rather than a wall-mountable frame. I've found it fine when connected to my portable thicknesser, and not bad either when connected to my bandsaw and hand tools (though my Nilfisk Alto is more effective with the hand tools, I think, and more convenient). It is very noisy though, as I usually run it with both motors.

I've run mine, with both motors, off the same ring as my bandsaw and thicknesser with no problems.

Back